Corsair Community

ABIT AI7 V1.0 and CMX512-3200C2PRO XMS3202V1.1

jlanka

I've got the above mentioned board and 2 sticks (TwinX) RAM. Here's the problem I'm experiencing: I can POST and boot successfully most of the time. Then when I shut down using the XP shut down menu option, more often than not it won't POST. This is using both sticks in either slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4. I've updated to the latest BIOS. If I use just one stick, it POST's successfully 100% of the time. I also tried the 2 sticks in an ABIT NF7, and they POSTed 100% of the time. I also RMA'd the board, the 2nd AI7 has the same problem. I used the recommended 2-3-3-6 at 2.7 volts. Still has the same problem. Is there some sort of compatibility issue? Should I have gotten LL instead of C2? Let me know what I should do, I already have an RMA number from newegg on these 2 sticks.

• Corsair Employee
I would try other memory in this system for a few days and see if the problem goes away, but the fact they run in another MB or system would suggest there might be some other problem with this system. (PSU, CPU Video Card. Alternatively, EMI or grounding problem).

I tried a different vid card, same problem. I'm running an Antec True 430 PSU, should be enough juice. Tried it out of the case, that should eliminate grounding. The problem only exhibits itself if I use both sticks. Either one seperately work fine 100% of the time. I RMA'd them to newegg, got OCZ Gold REV2 as a replacement. Didn't want to waste time trying another identical set. I realize it's probably just those 2 sticks and not that particular RAM but the turnaround time on the RMA's is just too much to take that chance. I still think Corsair XMS is the best. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll report back here the result of the new RAM.

[quote name='RAM GUY']If the memory would run in single channel mode but not in dual channel, that would suggest the chipset might be failing![/QUOTE] On 2 boards in a row? Thats kinda hard to believe. Bear in mind that it was an intermittent problem, sometimes it WOULD POST with both sticks, but other times it wouldn't. Additonally, the problem would occur with both sticks on the same memory controller (single channel). I know it's a very strange problem, but after RMAing the board and experiencing the exact same problem, I have to suspect the RAM.

[quote name='RAM GUY']Maybe! Can you tell me the CPU speed you have installed and the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory?[/QUOTE] I have a 2.8C P4, running at stock speed (SPD). AFA the RAM settings, I tried the suggested 2.7V and 2-3-3-7 along with many other more and less aggressvive settings, none of which fixed the problem. The new RAM is arriving via FedEx this afternoon. As soon as it comes I'll test it out and report back here the results.

[quote name='RAM GUY']Please do let us know![/QUOTE] Well, you were right RAM guy. I still had the problem (although less frequently) with the OCZ RAM. It turned out to be the Antec True430 power supply. I swapped in a different PS I had lying around (cheaper one) and it works perfectly. The integrity of Corsair XMS remains IMHO unblemished. Thanks for your help. Jeff Lanka.

Archived