Corsair Community

Mislabled PC3200

I am rather upset. I feel like Corsair has completely blown me off and they are adding to my headaches. I bought 512MB of PC3200 in November. I recently found out that it is actually PC2700. The retailer I purchased it from said that I must contact Corsair. I did. When I finally Talked to a real person on the phone, not only did they try to make me feel like I did not know what I was talking about, they would not listen to me. A technician tried my "PC3200" in a system that was already running ddr400, and his system, as mine, said it was only 333. The tech at Corsair told me to download Aida32 and that also says the the memory is PC2700. Now I am upset because Corsair will not return my calls. What do I have to do to get the memory I paid for?!? Please E-mail me ASAP!

• Corsair Employee
If you do have our 3200 memory with the SPD of 2700 than you some of our first 3200 modules. Are you having a problem running them at DDR 400? What MB and CPU are you using? Have you set the speed and timigns manually? Please let me know. Thanks!

It does not run at DDR 400. Not automatically, and i wasn't going to try to force it to in BIOS. I have the ABIT VI7 MB and using a pentium 4a 2.533 GHz processor. (btw, what should a p4 2.533 speed values be in BIOS?) I tried this memory in a system already running DDR400 and the system only recognized my memory as DDR333, AIDA32 says that it is only pc2700 and a cetified technician says it is only DDR333. (but you don't need a certification to realize that.) I've had 2 years as a paid technician and much more unpaid, and i am getting tired of being treated by Corsair as if i do not know anything. The ABIT VI7 should pick up the spd from the RAM automatically with no problem. HELP!!! [quote name='RAM GUY']If you do have our 3200 memory with the SPD of 2700 than you some of our first 3200 modules. Are you having a problem running them at DDR 400? What MB and CPU are you using? Have you set the speed and timigns manually? Please let me know. Thanks![/QUOTE]

• Corsair Employee
The memory you have is 3200. At the time that it was built there was no JEDEC spec for 3200 so we had to use the SPD from a 2700 module. With the CPU (533 FSB) that you have the highest you would be able to run the memory at would be DDR 333 anyway. You have to have a 800 FSB CPU to run DDR 400 memory on that board. Its a chipset limitation. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks!

Thank you for explaining. Makes sense now. When i do get an 800 FSB CPU, what will i need to do to get the MB to recognize it as DDR400 and enable the specialized options for DDR400? [quote name='RAM GUY']The memory you have is 3200. At the time that it was built there was no JEDEC spec for 3200 so we had to use the SPD from a 2700 module. With the CPU (533 FSB) that you have the highest you would be able to run the memory at would be DDR 333 anyway. You have to have a 800 FSB CPU to run DDR 400 memory on that board. Its a chipset limitation. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks![/QUOTE]

• Corsair Employee
The BIOS should have a Memory Frequency option, you will just have to set it to 200 mhz (DDR 400). The timings should be set correctly as it was programmed that way. If you wish you can set them manually as well. Please let me know if you have the C2 or LL modules and I can give you the timings. Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
You may be able to lower the timings to increase the bandwidth, but this would be up to you to try. You may want to post a new thread in the enthusiast section; other members may be able to give you an idea of what you can do with that board.

Archived