Corsair Community

Gateway Gives Me a Headache-memory expansion

punkin

I have a Gateway computer which is a few years old now and I would like to add another 512 of ram. I contacted Gateway but their being very evasive about what type of ram is on board. They'll sell me additional memory but they won't tell me what type of ram it is. I suspect this is so that I don't go out onto the open market in hopes of keeping me as a captured customer.

Anyways, the computer is a 700X model with a P4 2.66 GHz processor. I used the memory configurator tool on the website but they reference the 700X as having the 2.8 processor. Not sure if this would be the same or not. Also, from the research I've done so far, looks like there's two type of memory which might have been used in these computers (RDRAM and/or DDR400). I have no idea what the difference is.

Can anyone tell me what type of memory this computer uses? I understand that this computer has four slots for memory but I've been told that the computer may respond more quickly with 2 x 512 modules instead of 4 x 256.

Thanks

I have a Gateway computer which is a few years old now and I would like to add another 512 of ram. I contacted Gateway but their being very evasive about what type of ram is on board. They'll sell me additional memory but they won't tell me what type of ram it is. I suspect this is so that I don't go out onto the open market in hopes of keeping me as a captured customer.

Anyways, the computer is a 700X model with a P4 2.66 GHz processor. I used the memory configurator tool on the website but they reference the 700X as having the 2.8 processor. Not sure if this would be the same or not. Also, from the research I've done so far, looks like there's two type of memory which might have been used in these computers (RDRAM and/or DDR400). I have no idea what the difference is.

Can anyone tell me what type of memory this computer uses? I understand that this computer has four slots for memory but I've been told that the computer may respond more quickly with 2 x 512 modules instead of 4 x 256.

Thanks

I'd recommend saving up for a complete new system, in your case. This is because the Gateway 700x uses RDRAM, which now costs at least three to four times more money than an equal amount of even DDR400 (PC3200) memory, let alone the nowadays cheap prices of DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 memory. Also, RDRAM-based systems such as yours require that all four of its memory slots be filled up with something (either a memory RIMM module or a dummy terminator module); if any slots are totally empty, your system will not even POST. As such, be prepared to pay $250 to $300 just to purchase 1GB of RDRAM (versus the sub-$50 prices typical of 1GB of DDR or DDR2 memory).

And the response from Gateway is typical of a company which had just been bought out by another company -- in this case, Gateway (along with its lower-end sister subsidiary, eMachines) is now part of the Taiwan-based Acer group, who is also buying Packard Bell (remember that brand name?).

Archived