Corsair Community

Will the Hydrocool meet my expectations?

ShiningArcanine

I'm sick of having noisy fans (especially the stock intel heatsink/fan) in my computer so I'm considering getting the Hydrocool in the future. I want to know will it be able to keep the case temperatures in the low 30 degree Celsius range and generate no more than 5dBA of noise or am I asking for too much? Also, what will the Hydrocool be able to connect to, is it just the CPU or does it cool off other system components?

I forgot, here are my system specs: Intel D875PBZ Motherboard Intel 2.4GHz P4C Corsair Twinx3200LL memory at 2-3-2-5 timings (I would have pushed them down further but that was the lowest the board would go) ATI AIW 9700 Pro Western Digital 36.7GB Raptor Hard Drive Western Digital 200GB IDE Cavair Special Edition Hard Drive Anyway, what should the Hydrocool be able to cool the CPU down to and how loud is it? Also, is installing the waterblock more difficult than installing a stock Intel HSF?

I will let u know about gpu after i do it myself, maybe next weekend... it is quiet, dont know what else to tell ya...my temps on an overclocked p4 3.2 to 3.6 r 27-30 idle and 30-34 under load. turbo mode is louder, much louder and i havent used yet...ever...lol just to see if it worked...3x times as loud by my ears. install is very easy, did i say ez, yea ez. :p:

I concure, Overclocking or not. The H200 will keep both your temps and noise down. My temps are right in line with voodoothenoob and I've raised my VCore to 1.675 even. How low of temps depends on how your system is setup an ambient temperature in your area. As for cooling the NB and video. They are in production and will be released shortly. I myself plan on getting them and reduce my fans in my case. My case is not very loud since I use the DigitDoc 5 to turn them on as needed, but the lite hum from the Stealth fans and power supply is all I can hear. I have to get my ear within 3 feet of the H200 to even hear it's fan at normal speed. If you get one, you will love it I'm sure. I know I do :D:

[quote name='voodoothenoob']I will let u know about gpu after i do it myself, maybe next weekend... it is quiet, dont know what else to tell ya...my temps on an overclocked p4 3.2 to 3.6 r 27-30 idle and 30-34 under load. turbo mode is louder, much louder and i havent used yet...ever...lol just to see if it worked...3x times as loud by my ears. install is very easy, did i say ez, yea ez. :p:[/QUOTE] What is the average temperature of your house/apartment? The temperatures outside? I would like to know for comparison purposes.

ShiningArcanine - which CPU do you have AMD/Intel and do you plan to overclock it? Generally, AMD's generate more heat than Intel's. If you are just looking to quieten a system running at stock, you may wish to consider looking in to low noise air cooling. Bare in mind that liquid cooling units still have fans on them. All mechanical devices become noisey over time.

[quote name='danrok']ShiningArcanine - which CPU do you have AMD/Intel and do you plan to overclock it? Generally, AMD's generate more heat than Intel's. If you are just looking to quieten a system running at stock, you may wish to consider looking in to low noise air cooling. Bare in mind that liquid cooling units still have fans on them. All mechanical devices become noisey over time.[/QUOTE] I have a 2.4GHz Pentium 4C Processor (800MHz FSB) and I don't plan to overclock it. I'm not satisfied with air cooling so I'm looking into water cooling. I have a few more questions. Does Corsair provide an antifreeze or is the water supposed to freeze in the winter? Will my Intel D875PBZ motherboard complain about there not being a CPU fan? If so, is there a way to silence it without reducing functionality? How much eletricity does the Hydrocool use? Does Corsair have a guarentee stating that the Hydrocool will not leak? Besides probably frying the entire PC, what happens if the Hydrocool does leak? How much does the Hydrocool 200 cost? Edit: Another question does this need Thermal Paste? I currently have Artic Alumnia on my current P4, would someone be able to tell me how to safely remove it?

I can offer the following answers: 1) Corsair does have a recommended water additive, I don't know if the warranty stipulates that you have to use their brand. I believe some is supplied with the unit. You must always use a suitable additive, it is the anti-corrosion property which is very important. The anti-freeze side of it is less important, but still needed just in case. If water was to freeze in your rad it would cause damage (water expands when it becomes ice and can cause stone to split in half). 2) I am not familiar with your motherboard in detail. I would expect taht you will be able to disable any fan speed monitoring. Check the manual - download it if you don't have it. 3) No water cooling system is guaranteed to never leak. But, because this is an external system risks are lower if compared to an internal set-up. Using distilled water is a safe guard to some extent. Distilled water does not conduct electricity, but it does not stay distilled for long because the water is coming in to contact with metalic surfaces. This is a managed risk situation. When systems do leak damage can be minimal, I haven't heard of anyone losing every component in their system. Very tiny leaks do not cause a problem if the system is in use everyday, the moisture evaporates thanks to the heat inside the case. 4) You can clean off the old thermal paste using TIM cleaner - buy from an overclocking online shop. You will need to apply TIM to the cooler block Artic Silver 5 is a good one. You may also find other cooler blocks give better results than the one supplied with the Hydrocool.

The problem is I don't want to kill monitoring (I want to know my other fans are working). I simply want to make sure that it doesn't pester me about now having a fan. I suppose I could always plug my Thermaltake Pure Power's plug into the CPU fan pins. It is only for monitoring purposes but maybe it won't know the difference. Edit: Corsair doesn't give any kind of a guarentee that their Hydrocool models won't leak if installed properly? Not even like a 1 year or even 90 day guarentee stating that you would get reimburstment for damages caused by leakage of the Hydrocool? I was talking to a friend today and he said that if the product is as good as Corsair says it is, Corsair should give some kind of guarentee.

Shining, I have that same motherboard. The Hydrocool200 is working just fine with it with no problems. Just follow the instructions that come with the unit. It is pretty easy to set up, so easy that you are going to kick yourself for not having done it sooner. Installing the waterblock was much easier than installing the default heatsink and fan. Noise is certainly much lower than with heatsink and fan. When you go asking what temps people can get down to with it remember that the lowest temp your water cooler can bring your cpu down to is whatever is the current temperature of your room. Bottom line is, water cooling is 30x more efficient at removing heat from metal than is possible with air fans. When a blacksmith wants to cool down some hot metal he does not blow on it.

Archived