Corsair Community

Overclocking desktop PC(need help)

Hi, can anyone tell me how to overclock my CPU, and if there's a software method to do it because my motherboard does not have multiplier pins etc. I also want to know if it is possible to overclock RAM or maybe even the GPU? I f you can help, please reply to this thread, thanks

Yes you can overclock all of that. I am not so sure what you can do with Dell's as they use their own BIOS that eliminates alot of stuff. You also need to be more specific in your system specs. "DDRII Total 2GB" puts you at a few thousand options. Be as specific as possible.

Overclocking is mainly done through the BIOS. The software is used to test the system for stability. This link will help you understand some of the basic concepts of overclocking. Overclocking.

Okay, well i'm running the Dell bios version 2.2.1(as shown in CPU-Z)

I Have three RAM cards, two of which are 512Mb DDR2 and the maximum bandwidth is 266MHz, the other card is 1Gb DDR2 and maximum freq. is 333MHz. I am aware that the 1Gb card is running at the slowest speed(266Mhz) due to the other two cards, is there a way to override this? I have been messing around in the BIOS and like you said, there is very little I can do in there, I can hardly modify any settings etc. I do have the diagnostics and utilities CD from dell. are you familiar with the components of the dimension E520?

Okay, well i'm running the Dell bios version 2.2.1(as shown in CPU-Z)

I Have three RAM cards, two of which are 512Mb DDR2 and the maximum bandwidth is 266MHz, the other card is 1Gb DDR2 and maximum freq. is 333MHz. I am aware that the 1Gb card is running at the slowest speed(266Mhz) due to the other two cards, is there a way to override this? I have been messing around in the BIOS and like you said, there is very little I can do in there, I can hardly modify any settings etc. I do have the diagnostics and utilities CD from dell. are you familiar with the components of the dimension E520?

When you do overclock there are a few things that really come into play as to making your system run faster.

The main thing is compatabiliy and matching up hardware for doing such things as over clocking.

When you buy a PC that you intend to over clock then it needs to be ordered with a CPU and RAM that can be matched up properly in order to over clock.

Lets take a situation like this.

You buy a PC with a CPU that has a max FSB of 1333MHz but it comes with 2 Gig of RAM that's rated at 800MHz.

With the right M/Board you can allocate either automatically or manualy the ratio between both to maximize performance from both.

In other words if you have a CPU running at 1333MHz and RAM capable of running up to 1333MHZ then you could run them both at 1333MHZ which would be a 1:1 ratio.

If you start over clocking the first pair then there would be a ratio of 2:1.

You must remember that this is on M/boards that are set up to do this.

On most generic Co built M/Boards over clocking just can't be done and with a situation like a CPU at 1333MHz and RAM at 800MHZ, the CPU is reduced to 800MHz to match the highest speed with the greatest stability as would be the same if the CPU was 800MHz and the RAM was rated at 1333MHz max.

Add to this the fact that you have mixed Sticks of RAM and now you have created an even bigger headache.

A generic M/Board takes the highest rating of the lowest speed and sets everything else up acordingly.

Also, this ratio is only between the CPU and RAM. Having mixed RAM really messes things up because the RAM FSB will always be set tpo the slowest performing Stick.

Say you have a CPU that can run at 1333MHz.

You have 3 Sticks of RAM.

The first 2 have a FSB max speed of 266MHz.

The last has a max FSB speed of 333MHz.

When you boot the computer the first Time, the BIOS will take a look at what you have and calculate the fastest FSB speed for all which, you guessd it, would be 266MHz.

If you had a M/Board capable of Ratios between the CPU and RAM then you would still have an issue with the RAM's FSB because it would still take into conssideration the slowest performing Stick.

Your CPU would run at 1333 but your RAM would only max out to 266MHz.

My suggestion to you would be to take the 1 Gig Stick and match it with either the exact same one or something as close as you can find.

My guess is that the old 2 Sticks that came with this PC are what's slowing you down because both Dell and Gateway really scrimp on RAM quality when they make a PC. You might have a screaming CPU but it's not going to perform because the RAM is sub par.

I didn't see what CPU you have but if this where a PC that someone gave me, I'd check out the specs on the CPU and Box up the Ram that's in there, and go buy some RAM that can take full advantage of the CPU.

Another thing I'd look at would be the M/Board.

M/Boards are cheap and can either make or break a system.

You could go buy a M/Board with over clocking capabilities for around a Hundred Dollars, swap all your hardware off the old on and put it on the new M/Board and really go to Town over clocking.

Either way your mixed RAM is what's holding you back as well as the generic M/Board.

If you really want to get into over clocking then this would be the only thing I could think to do.

I'm sure allot of others will chime in with other suggestions but this is all I got, LOL!

No.1 It's a Dell

-So trying to overclock your CPU and Ram is just not happening. Why? Well Dell uses its own BIOS and locks many features like a previous poster said. Therefore you cannot overclock it thru the BIOS.

-Having mismatched speed and size of memory is another issue. Having 2 different clock speeds and brands of memory makes your chances of overclocking less likely as the stress value of your memory differs from makers and speeds.

Solution:

-Get a non Dell machine. Make your own system or get a brand that uses motherboards like ASUS, Abit etc.

Final Word:

You will not be able to overclock your system.

Archived