Corsair Community

Dominator PC8500/DDR1066

JEmlay

I just bought this mainboard and two sticks of this memory. To go with it, an E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 1333MHz FSB.

Before I run myself ragged (and to get up and running quicker) I'd like to ask what speed I should attempt to run this memory at? Will the full 1066 be ok with this processor?

Would it be important to run both the CPU and memory the same? 1066?

Thanks for any input!

How many memory modules do I have?

Two sticks.

From what I've read so far it looks like I need to make sure I put them in the second set of slots??? Not sure what (technologically) that will accomplish but it seems to make this MB happier.

I did, it says:

Twin2x2048-8500C5D Data Sheet

Motherboard make and model: Asus P5B or M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe Only!

That's odd, I had replied to a thread about the P5N32-E yet this thread is by itself?

Anyway, the other convo was a long thread about how that board would only run this mem at 800 because of his CPU. So I figured there would be a quick response to the same board but different CPU.

EDIT:

Yes, I replied to a thread about Twin2x2048-8500C5D and the P5N32-E as that's what I described I had.

As this problem seems to relate to the one i'm having I thought i'd add to this.

I too have just completed a rebuild with a new motherboard (ASUS P5N32-E SLI), new CPU (E6850) & new Corsair dominator PC8500 C5D Ram (4x1gb). I bought to packs of the 2x1gb matched sets as Newegg was short of the 4x1gb at the time. Since building this system i have had no end of BSOD's, in my effort to eliminate the problem I have been through 2 bios updates (1205 & the beta 1302), none of which have made any real difference. I have just run memtest with 2 of the 4 modules installed, also i have ensured that i kept the 2 'matched sets' seperate in a bid for stability. With either of the 2 sets installed i get instant errors as shown below;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Bushers/Memtesterror.jpg

The rest of my system is as follows;

2 x WD Raptor 36GB in RAID 0

Enermax Liberty 620W

Audigy 2 ZS

ATI 1900XTX

Windows XP Pro x64

These were all components that were in my previous build, i know i have an SLI board and plan to go that route when I switch to Nvidia!!

On this build I have obviously done a reformat, just thought i'd mention that in case someone asked, i also have the ram timings set to 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v..

I'm totally at a loss, i have already RMA's the ASUS board once due to a bios corruption and my fear here is that I might be doing another one!! Any thoughts?

Well, in reading another thread I have slowed down the memory speed to 800 as (if what i'm thinking is correct) this board is only rated to run at this memory speed? I have used that as a start and am raising the memory fsb as i go.

First test at 800 and the memory ran flawlessly, with the cpu at 1333 i am raising slowly to see what speeds i can achieve, i have also tightened up the timings to 4-4-4-12 @ 2T (as I have 4 sticks), now running at 889 no problems....

My initial setup of running SLI ready 'enabled' on this mobo was no good, 1066 is just too much for it to cope, unless i start raising the N/SB voltages..

Bushers,

Thank you VERY MUCH for your write up. Sadly, I regret my purchase (ASUS) :(

If you could please do all of us a favor and continue to report your bottom line to us?

I'm still waiting for my first RMA (DOA) to return back to me so I can't tinker at all right now.

Well, this is actually my first ASUS board, i've mainly used Abit in the past but decided a change might be good??! After the RMA (which was frustrating) the replacement was good, although the problems i was having the end of last week were really getting to me!

I am new to DDR2 and need to read up some more on the basics, the older days of DDR settings is/was all i knew up until now.

Leaving the CPU fsb at 1333 and using 'unlinked' parameters to set the memory speed to 800, raise from there untill you cant boot and back off a notch! I am running well at 889 (as stated before) with all 4 sticks installed, memory timings at 4-4-4-12 2.1v 2T.

Heres a pic i found from another thread of the parameter;

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/V2-G/System/asus%20p5n32e-sli/P1010913.jpg

From the memory side i cant go higher (with these timings) without bios throwing a wobbler, so for now i'll use these, now it will be on to trying to max out the fsb of the CPU to see what the E6850 will do....i'll report back when i get round to this, in the mean time, check ou this thread, might help a little;

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=113093

Archived