Corsair Community

Two Matched pairs - Are they a match?

PowerLover

Dear RAMGuy (and others!)

I have an Asus P4C800-E Rev2.00 motherboard.

I have been using a matched pair of TWINX XMS3200 512MB 400 MHz 2326 sticks (CMX512-3200LL XMS3205v1.2 0350033) under WinXP Pro successfully since I built the rig in 2003.

I now want to bump up the memory to 2GB (since more than that would be unadvisable for WinXP as I read somewhere).

The guys at Fry's Electronics sold me a matched pair of TWINX XMS3200 512MB 400MHz CL2 sticks (CMX512-3200C2PT XMS3202v5.2 0625378-0) to augment the aforementioned existing pair, to make it to 2GB in all.

Before proceeding to install the new pair, I'd like some advice on whether this would work at all, and if so any specific BIOS settings that I must do prior to letting the thing POST or boot up.

Thanks in advance...

Thanks Mr. Wired.

So, what are my options? I guess looking for the old part number in the market would be futile (or a miracle if I should find a pair)

Will I have to discard the old 1GB pair of sticks and buy a new pair of 2GB? Seems like memory upgrade (by augmentation) is a short-window option (only until the products with the same part number are still in the market.)

It'd be a shame to throw 1GB away.

Please confirm that this is the only option. Or, someone please make my day with viable alternatives that might allow me to keep those sticks and add on another 1GB.

Thanks...

• Corsair Employees
You can try it but its not suggested and if you do just make sure they are in Dual channel with other and not mixed IE one set in slots 1-3 and the other set is slots 2-4 and then before you install them go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.75 Volts and set the memory frequency toi DDR400 manually and set the timings to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and then Disable Legacy USB and exit saving changes and run wwww.memtest.org on the system if its stable you can try and tweak the timings to like Cas 2-3-3-6 but Cas 2.5-3-3-7 will be more stable.

Thanks Mr. RAMGuy.

I was going to keep the old pair on Slots 1-3 and the new pair on Slots 2-4.

And I will do the BIOS settings as suggested.

Generally, I am not terribly desirous of tweaking for marginal speed, risking stability, unless stability wouldn't be a problem. So, I guess I'd consider that as experimental, just as suggested.

Thanks again! I'll report once I know how this turns out.

Archived