Corsair Community

CMX512-3200LLPT and AMD 64 FX CHIP

arsoc

HELP! Did I make a mistake? I purchased two 512mb sticks model number: CMX512-3200LLPT for a system with an ASUS SK8V K8T800 motherboard and the AMD 64 FX-51 ATHLON. Use a ATI Radeon 9800XT vid card with a 470w power supply. I do not get a boot screen on the monitor. Are these sticks compatable for this MB and CPU? I tested the RAM, vid card, and monitor on another machine and they worked. If these are not the right sticks what is the best Corsair sticks to get for my AMD 64 system? Lots of thanks, ARSOC :confused:

You'll need to get some buffered ECC memory such as: TwinX1024[b]RE[/b]-3200LL The "R" means registered. The "E" means ECC. Your memory doesn't work because it lacks these features. I think the above stated set would run well, but perhaps RAM GUY has a better suggestion. PLUR CK

According the ASUS web page and the board specs, the RAM I purchased should work [url]http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=SK8V&langs=01[/url] But I am by no ways an expert in this, very much a noob here. Thanks CK!

[quote name='arsoc']According the ASUS web page and the board specs, the RAM I purchased should work[/QUOTE] The spec page says: [i]4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 8GB Registered ECC and non-ECC PC3200 / PC2700 / PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory [/i] Notice it REQUIRES registered memory (buffered memory). The AMD FX-51 CPU REQUIRES ECC memory, I believe, while the Opteron can run with registered non-ECC memory. That's why it says Ecc and non-ECC is supported. For your CPU, listen to RAM GUY, he knows what he's talking about. You need registered and ECC memory, but since the board for all configurations REQUIRES registered memory, the modules you purchased won't work regardless. PLUR CK

• Corsair Employees
Just to be clear, you would need modules that are registered and if they have ECC or not is optional. However registered or AKA buffered is not an option. You have to have it with this platform.

Archived