Corsair Community

Twinx1024-3200LLPT and Asus A7N8X - dual channel mode not working?

LordPhobos

Hey guys, I need some help here. First, my pc's specs: Asus A7N8X Deluxe v.1.04 with Uber BIOS 1004 (with SATA support) AMD XP 1700+ @ 2.1ghz (200x10.5) Corsair XMS PC3200 512mb @ 200mhz HIS Radeon 9800 Pro with Cat4.2's (not overclocked) Windows XP with SP1 Those are the pertinent facts. Yesterday I received my new pack of Corsair XMS TwinX1024-3200LLPT that I bought for my pc. It worked fine in my pc at the current timings of 2T-3-3-7 and Windows loaded just fine. It wasn't until I started playing a game that I had issues. Right after getting past the menu screen for the game the game crashed as soon as it was getting ready to load the level (this was Medal of Honor). No matter how many times I tried it the same thing happened. So I tried running other games, and even 3dMark2001SE, but the same thing happens. The game loads the level for maybe 20 seconds at best, and then crashes to a black screen and I have to reboot. Only after lots of different setting tests was I able to determine that it seems to only happen when I play a game, and when the RAM is in dual channel mode. Right now I'm running DocMemory going on over 7 hrs with no errors, same thing with MemTest86 and Prime95. But as soon as I try to play a game, it crashes. I have tried the highest timings I can do (something like 3T-8-8-15) just for kicks, I've tried different slots, I've tried everything I can think of. When I have the RAM in the slots that keep it in single channel mode, however, it can run games/3dmark2001 just fine. So it seems that it has something to do with dual channel mode and displaying anything in 3d (it also gave me issues when trying to run a 3d app, which is why I really purchased this new ram). At this point I am willing to try anything, though I've tried everything I can think of. I believe that the RAM is fine since it only gives issues in one specific situation, but I do no know how to resolve this problem. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks. :biggrin:

Have you considered the CPU as the culprit? That is a hefty overclock for a 1700. What die temps are you getting. 3-D apps also stress the CPU, perhaps it's a heat problem. You could try and bump the Dimm voltage to 2.7. I'd back the CPU down a bit and maybe flash to a more recent BIOS.

I considered bumping the cpu down, but it's been running fine like that for a long time and it's at normal cpu temps. The chip that I got is a specific stepping, JHUIB I think, and lots of people have been able to hit 2.4ghz with air cooling on the same chip. Also, the 512mb PC3200 I have had in there has never given me issues I just upgraded to get more memory. I did also try 2.7v dimm voltage with no success. I will try again though just for giggles. What confuses me though is why it's only with things that involve 3d graphics that seem to crash it. Prime95, DocMemory, and Memtest86 all run just fine with no errors at all. Confusion....

I tried a dimm voltage of 2.7v and that did nothing. I also tried increasing the AGP voltage up by 0.1v, but that did nothing either. I also tried going back to Cat 4.1's thinking that maybe it was a bug between the two, but not luck their either.

The memory is running at 200mhz in sync with the cpu fsb. I took your advice though and backed off on the fsb of the cpu, and so far I've been running the memory just fine with 3dmark2001SE. I'm still changing and testing, changing and testing, but so far I've gone at different variations from 166mhz up to 195 (which it's reporting as 194, don't know why). But maybe there's a bug with 200mhz? I will keep reporting back what I find as I find it. Thanks! :biggrin:

Things seem stable at 190mhz. 195 was pushing it, I think. I guess what confuses me about it is that I don't see why it wouldn't be able to run at 200mhz fsb with my new LL memory, but was able to run just fine with only my old 512mb stick. For some reason my cpu won't overclock as much as soon as dual channel mode is used. I can run the cpu/memory at 200mhz fsb with the new RAM just fine if it's in single channel mode, but as soon as it's in dual channel mode it locks up on games. I tried upgrading to bios 1007, but nothing changed.

• 1 year later...
Hi all, I seem to be having a very similar problem to the chap who started the post.... I have Corsair 3200ll memory and if I only have a single module (512mb) installed it seems fine.... i've just recently bought 2 x 256mb 3200ll modules 2-3-2-6 (same as the 512mb) and my PC is hanging left right and centre.... I currently have a massive fan blowing air into the side of my PC to try and rule out overheating but it still crashes.... currently i'm only running the 2 x 256mb modules and have removed the 512mb. It generally runs half stable when i'm doing non stressful things like posting in the forum but games and even ripping CD's can bring it down at any point AMD Barton 3200+ (Not overclocked) 200Mhz bus speed 2 x 256mb 3200ll modules (also 200Mhz) Asus N7N8X Deluxe (BIOS Revision 1007 or whatever the latest one is!) Windows XP Sp2 all patched up 9800pro (stock speeds) 200gb Maxtor Sata drive All help is appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance Neil :confused:

ooh also i haven't played around with any voltage settings and they are all at default.... I wasn't sure how risky it would be to notch it up? [quote name='neilmorris123']Hi all, I seem to be having a very similar problem to the chap who started the post.... I have Corsair 3200ll memory and if I only have a single module (512mb) installed it seems fine.... i've just recently bought 2 x 256mb 3200ll modules 2-3-2-6 (same as the 512mb) and my PC is hanging left right and centre.... I currently have a massive fan blowing air into the side of my PC to try and rule out overheating but it still crashes.... currently i'm only running the 2 x 256mb modules and have removed the 512mb. It generally runs half stable when i'm doing non stressful things like posting in the forum but games and even ripping CD's can bring it down at any point AMD Barton 3200+ (Not overclocked) 200Mhz bus speed 2 x 256mb 3200ll modules (also 200Mhz) Asus N7N8X Deluxe (BIOS Revision 1007 or whatever the latest one is!) Windows XP Sp2 all patched up 9800pro (stock speeds) 200gb Maxtor Sata drive All help is appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance Neil :confused:[/QUOTE]

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the following timings and test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] to be sure one is not failing. CPU Freq: 200 MHz System Performance: User Define Memory Frequency: 100% Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Archived