Corsair Community

ASUS A8R32-MVP and Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 work?

GaryR

It's not listed on the "Configurator" so i'm a little worried about ordering it. Will it be a problem with my system? I'm going to populate all four banks with 2 sets of matching 1G modules. I'm running Vista 64..

Thanks!

:D:

Sorry, I mixed up another brand of PC2-6400 with the Corsair memory I was looking at. I ended up buying the 2GB kit of TwinX2048-3200C2PT to go with the 2GB of CMX1024-3200C2PT already installed. That was the reason for my second post. Will those two sets live well together?

Sorry for the mix up!

:o:

Great, thanks much Ram guy! I'll set it to 333mz and 2.75V (I *think* it goes from 2.6, 2.7, to 2.8 but i'll double check). Can you tell me the difference between TWINX2048-3200C2PT and CMX1024-3200C2PT? The Configurator shows both as compatible with the A8R32, same speed and timings, but they sure don't cost the same! CMX is generally about 50% more $$$.

Yes and please let me know if yo have any more questions!

RAM installed and I didn't change any BIOS settings at first. Worked fine, Vista 64 immediately saw it and all was well. I then went in to BIOS and tried the manual settings I saw listed here for the A8R32-MVP and couldn't get the system to boot, kept giving me an overclock error. I never could find a setting for DDR Frequency to set at 333Mz, but I assume the setting of 166Mz (x2?) is correct. The values there went as high as 250 I believe. Anyway, went back to BIOS defaults and all is well again. I did notice my "Vista Performance" Memory score for memory went from 5.x to 4.5 after adding the 2 GB... odd.

RAM installed and I didn't change any BIOS settings at first. Worked fine, Vista 64 immediately saw it and all was well. I then went in to BIOS and tried the manual settings I saw listed here for the A8R32-MVP and couldn't get the system to boot, kept giving me an overclock error. I never could find a setting for DDR Frequency to set at 333Mz, but I assume the setting of 166Mz (x2?) is correct. The values there went as high as 250 I believe. Anyway, went back to BIOS defaults and all is well again. I did notice my "Vista Performance" Memory score for memory went from 5.x to 4.5 after adding the 2 GB... odd.

This is likely because the command rate defaulted to 2T with all four slots populated. (Whereas you ran the command rate at 1T with only two slots populated.)

This is likely because the command rate defaulted to 2T with all four slots populated. (Whereas you ran the command rate at 1T with only two slots populated.)

Actually no, it was/is set at 1T I believe. I followed the setup put here by "Stampede89" that I found by searching under A8R32-MVP.

I used these settings:

Memclock Mode : Manual

Memclock Value : 200MHz

MCT Timing Mode: Manual

Cas Latency: 2.0

Tras: 5 CLK

TRP: 2 CLK

TRCD: 3 CLK

TRRD: 2T

TRC: 7T

TRFC: 12T

TRWT: 1 CLK

MCT Extra Timing Mode: Manual

TREF: 3.9us

DDR Input Strobe Skew: Disabled

DDR Data Driving Strength: Disabled

Burst20pt: Enabled

User Config Mode: Manual

Read Preamble: 5.0ns

Async Latency: 6.0ns

CMD-ADDR Timing Mode: 1T

Bank Interleaving: Auto

Burst Length: 8 Beats

*Hardware Memory Mode: Enabled Description says it's Software could be a screw-up with bios 0602

DDR voltage upped to 2.80 for stability

Also, HT configuration should be enabled to fastest settings.

SANDRA 2007 SP1 reports 86% bandwidth efficiency at ~5500MB/s.

Memtest86 reported no errors.

NOTE: My memory revision is 1.1 and caution should be taken when altering these settings. My advice: Do ONE at a time to see their limits or you'll find yourself clearing the cmos when the computer won't boot up:eek:

Command Rate should be set to 2T with 4 modules installed.

Excellent, that works perfectly, thanks!! The Vista memory score only increased from 4.2 to 4.5 but it may be more of a motherboard bottleneck. I also have a 4GB USB stick being used as memory, wonder if that is being taken into account?

Thanks again!

:biggrin:

Archived