Corsair Community

Build quality of XMS2 questionable?

sup191

I ordered the 2GB TWIN2X2048-8500C5 RAM a year ago when building my new system. Almost one year to the day, BOTH sticks died on me. (I tested both of them in two other systems and couldn't post on both of them with either stick). I came to the web site, got a RMA for them, and sent them back. I got an email response after five days stating the chips were received. Then the next day, I get an email saying replacements would be sent. Almost two weeks went by without any more info or status. I then emailed Corsair for a status on my RMA. The next day I was told they were out of stock and backordered. I was a little put off that I wasn't notified about the delay. This is my main system for my home/office. I NEED this machine to be up and running. I got by borrowing laptops from a couple of my friends for the past couple week. Today, my new replacement RAM finally arrived. After returning home from UPS (I missed them by 10 minutes) I open the package. Onto my lap falls one of the heat spreaders from one of the RAM chips. The other stick's spreader fell off also upon fully opening the package. After examining both pieces that fell off, I see they are only held on by what looks like double sided sticky tape. Well, sticky not being the right word as neither spreader or chips had any stickyness to them. I put the RAM in my machine to at least see if I can use them, but I get blue screens and memory errors during boot right off the bat. I finally got them "stable" by slowing EVERY timing setting down to it's lowest setting. Needless to say, I'm starting to question the quality of product for this RAM. I've never seen heat spreaders just fall off because the tape didn't stick. I've looked on a couple other sites at the reviews (especially Newegg where I had ordered them from) and I see many other posts describing the same original problem of the RAM dying after 9-12 months. Those posts and now the "new" RAM falling apart out of the box?!? I originally paid a lot of money for this RAM because it was supposed to be the Cadillac of DDR2 at the time. So now am I supposed to go through the entire process of RMA'ing these again and having to wait for 2+ weeks? Is it possible to get replacements sent to me ASAP while using these until the new ones arrive? I'll glady give a credit card number to "hold" until the RAM I have now is shipped back. The main point is that I NEED my computer and can't do without it for weeks at a time again. I also don't want to have to go out and purchase other RAM for this machine until the replacements arrive.

Please help me out here. My business relies heavily of the use of this machine. (and, I can't unfortunately just buy other RAM or another computer at the moment. I don't have that sort of cash on hand)

sup191

Update: The very first post on Newegg's comments for this RAM states the EXACT same issues I've had (RAM going bad and spreaders falling off) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820145033

I'm now worried that the next replacement pair will have the same issues.

Update:

I called customer support and explained the situation. Corsair will ship replacement RAM to me. Once the new RAM gets here, I'm told to put the defective RAM in the box and send it back - prepaid! Wow. I'm very impressed with the ease and speed of the swap. I apologize if my original post sounded a little heated. I was just a little irritated when my replacement RAM arrived "broken". I understand manufacturing issues can happen. I was just bummed when it happened to me. ;):

Thank you Ram Guy & customer service for handling things so well. It's hard to find customer service like this anymore.

Archived