Corsair Community

Ram/Motherboard question

jonny1

I have the CORSAIR Dominator 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 on a Asus PK5 V motherboard but I'm only running single core. Is it best just to let any setting to saty at Auto? I tried adjusting some and things just seem to open still slow. I have Win Xp. I went from 1 gig to 2 gigs RAM and I thought programs would open a little faster. Would this work faster if I had dual core?

Thanks

cpuz.jpg.b5c4f78af2de2e7a5354bb792c3147b7.jpg

cpuz2.jpg.b2c286d50dba4a1268b0a5ca593423b5.jpg

well your right, it's only in the one yellow slot. I'll have to take it back to the tech tomorrow for him to move it. I would do it but the last time I tried to put this ram in the sides fell off, so that's why I took it in for them to do.

Then my question would be, is that's why my boot up was slower than my old motherboard and ram, plus my programs not opening any faster?

Another question, I don't want to overclock but I do want it to run at it's peak. My FSB goes up to only 800Mhz, the tech said so that's what the RAM would run at until I upgrade to dual core. What settings would you suggest? Would I need to adjust the FSB, PCIE and DRAM Frequencies? And would I leave DRAM timing on auto? Or will be okay once I get into the right yellow slot?

Thanks

With your CPU, 800Mhz DRAM has a ratio of double your CPU speed so I would be happy with whatever setting it is at as long as it is running in Dual Channel Mode. That CPU is too slow to saturate the data bus even at 533Mhz so until you get a Core 2, there is no need to raise the DRAM speed to it's optimal settings. I doubt the CPU would run correctly with an optimal DRAM ratio.

cpuz.jpg.f3b0ce58b638cc92b66c5e6cfc1d9f88.jpg

so this is the best I'll get? Why are the timings 5-5-5-18 the RAM stick says 5-5-5-15.......

Thanks, I'll h ave to look into a dual core after the first of the year. You have any suggestions? I do some research before I pick my parts for the computer.

I don't think your motherboard will support even a Pentium4 Dual Core so you will have to move to a different motherboard as well.

By then, the P35 chipset will be less money and a decent overclocking Core2 will also be quite low.

P5K and E6750 will be a seriously good overclocking system.

oh I do have a new motherboard, I have the Asus P5K V, got that last week.

And that's what I was hoping for the prices to come down. So a L2 Cache 4M shared is better than the 2M shared, right?

The dual core 2 FSB 1066 and the 1333, I would get the 1066 because if I'm right the 1333 is DRAM 3 not DRAM 2, right?

Archived