Corsair Community

Problem with RAM

RobScar

Hello and thanks in advance for any guidance. I built this pc about a year and a half ago. Everything worked fine, until recently. I started rcving register errors when booting up to windows xp pro. I engaged MS tech support and they had me wipe the drive clean, create a new partition and attempt to load windows again. Each time, when the files are being copied, it would stop at 51% during the file TourW.exe. MS sent me out a new copy fo Win XP Pro, thinking my disc was bad. We tried the new disc and had the same exact symptom. They then told me to remove one of the sticks of ram, as I have two 1024 sticks. Specifically CMX1024-3200C2. Once I remove the stick(I have a DFI Lanparty mobo and the sticks are in slots 2 and 4, as per DFI, this was best) from slot 4, I was able to load windows and all drivers etc. I was able to boot to windows with no errors. I went ahead and loaded all software. I then tried to put my second stick back into slot 4 and rebooted. On the memory countdown, it shows the 2megs total, but when I get to windows, the errors return. I don't want to do this too much, as MS has told me I will corrupt my OS again. So, my question is, is my RAM chip bad? Is it still under warranty and if so, how do I go about replacing it? I purchased all items for my custom built PC thru Newegg. I truly appreciate any and all assistance with this matter.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings to 2-3-3-6 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived