Corsair Community

amd64 3400+ on asus k8v deluxe RAM???

bholub

Okay Ram Guy, You have finally convinced me............. I want to go with the PC3200, but there is a few choices among these, and I don't know the differences and which one is ultimately better... (using newegg partnumbers) CMX512RE-3200LL --- registered, ecc CMX512-3200LLPRO --- w/ LEDs CMX512RE-3200LLPT --- platinum heat spreader CMX512-3200C2PRO --- ???C2???, w/ LEDs What is the C2 stand for??? Is there a difference in the platinum or the aluminium heat spreader??? Someone said that the LEDs would pull more power through the dimm and decrease proformance??? True or False??? I understand the difference btwn registered/ecc and non... , but what I don't understand is should I go with the registered??? Only 3 bucks difference. Thanks Ram Guy............ you are the coolest

• Corsair Employees
Registered memory will not run in this MB, and there is no difference in the modules only the color of the heat spreader. C2 = Cass 2-3-3-6 LL = Cass 2-3-2-6 PT = Platinum Heat Spreader Pro = Activity LED's R = Registered RE = Registered with ECC With nothing after the part# that would be a standard Black Heat spreader.

Ramguy, You said - NO REGISTERED MEM on K8V. This may be my problem. I have Twinx1024RE-3200LLPT and have built a system with the K8V Deluxe mobo and the AMD64 3400. I can get either chip to work alone but can't get both to run in any slot combination. Whenever I try two, the mobo saya "sys failed due to CPU overclocking". What has me confused (about the no registered mem), is that the mobo bios has an ECC enable/disable - so, what is this thing doing? This is my first build - sorry for the ignorance. Thanks, Matt

[quote]What has me confused (about the no registered mem), is that the mobo bios has an ECC enable/disable - so, what is this thing doing?[/quote] The [url=http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8V%20Deluxe&langs=09]ASUS K8V Deluxe webpage[/url] says: [i]3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 3GB [b]un-buffered[/b] ECC and non-ECC PC3200/PC2700 / PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory[/i] Basically, your motherboard supports ECC functions, but not registered (buffered) memory. That's why it won't work and they don't have to come together. There are un-buffered ECC modules and buffered ECC modules and buffered non-ECC modules. The two are separate things. The "RE" memory you have is both. I do not believe that Corsair makes an un-buffered ECC module, but you don't need ECC memory for that setup anyways. Something like the TwinX1024-3200C2 or LL would probably be just fine, without the [b]RE[/b] that your's has. The new AMD FX CPU is the one that needs registered & ECC memory. PLUR CK

• Corsair Employees
Mat, Registered and ECC are not the same thing. The MB will support ECC but not registered memory, please see if the reseller will let you exchange these for the same part# just with no "R" or "RE" in the part#, like Twinx1024-3200LL.

• 2 weeks later...
By the way, Is there 1x184-pin stick of 1024 RAM available for this board, to implement 3GB max????? [quote name='CandyKid']The [url=http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8V%20Deluxe&langs=09]ASUS K8V Deluxe webpage[/url] says: [i]3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 3GB [b]un-buffered[/b] ECC and non-ECC PC3200/PC2700 / PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory[/i] Basically, your motherboard supports ECC functions, but not registered (buffered) memory. That's why it won't work and they don't have to come together. There are un-buffered ECC modules and buffered ECC modules and buffered non-ECC modules. The two are separate things. The "RE" memory you have is both. I do not believe that Corsair makes an un-buffered ECC module, but you don't need ECC memory for that setup anyways. Something like the TwinX1024-3200C2 or LL would probably be just fine, without the [b]RE[/b] that your's has. The new AMD FX CPU is the one that needs registered & ECC memory. PLUR CK[/QUOTE]

1) But how to go for max 3GB with PC3200? 2)What is a choice(performance/price) for Video edditing 1GB(PC3200) to start and upgrade later for 3GB Thanks a lot. Ilyam [quote name='RAM GUY']The part # would be CMX1024-3200. You will only be able to use 2 sticks on the board though for a total of 2 gig. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that the previous 2 questions were for AMD 64 and k8v SE Deluxe ( I belive it is one chanel situation and 'twinx' does not make sence?!) ????? Thanks. Ilyam [quote name='RAM GUY']The part # would be CMX1024-3200. You will only be able to use 2 sticks on the board though for a total of 2 gig. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks![/QUOTE]

it doesn't matter if it's dual channel or not...twinx is basically a packaged set of 2 sticks of ram..a kit including 2 sticks of ram...i have 2 sticks of twinx but not an nforce board, but that's the way i bought them..the key thing more than anything if you want to run dual channeled is to run sam ram manufacturer>same memory speeds>same memory timings. corsair sells the convenience of a twinx kit..but you could buy 2 sticks with same timings and stuff separately..it's just this way..you know that you are buying the same basic memory from one stick to another if you buy the kit of 2:)

Maybe I am thick, and I am sorry if I am but now I am far from resolving my challenge. I want to use an ASUS K8V (SE)..same MOBO as here except more recent and a wifi useless thingie for free. [url]http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe&langs=01[/url] I want to overclock an AMD 64 3000+, and most likely reach 2.2 Ghz. In doing so it seems that my memory frequency on a 1:1 will reach 440 Mhz ( 220 Mhz). I was hoping to use the pc3200 to meet that challenge. However and here is my dilemma, I want 3 Gigs of memory in the system, ASUS says 3 gig feasible with pc3200/2700 or pc 2100. And you people here seem to suggest that with pc3200 only 2 gig is feasible. Why only 2 gigs? and if this is the case how do I get 3 gig ( with what part number) in this system and still be able to overclock? Here is what I am trying to accomplish really and you can see that Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO was used......but how do I reach 3 gigs? http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=426&61705" Thanking you in advance for your help and enlightment... Blindbat..

[quote name='BlindBat']However and here is my dilemma, I want 3 Gigs of memory in the system, ASUS says 3 gig feasible with pc3200/2700 or pc 2100. And you people here seem to suggest that with pc3200 only 2 gig is feasible. Why only 2 gigs? and if this is the case how do I get 3 gig ( with what part number) in this system and still be able to overclock? Here is what I am trying to accomplish really and you can see that Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO was used......but how do I reach 3 gigs? http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=426&61705" Thanking you in advance for your help and enlightment... Blindbat..[/QUOTE] [URL=ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v_se_dx/e1491_k8v_se_deluxe.pdf]HERE[/URL] is a link to the manual for this board. Look on page 2-12. Asus shows that if you want to use DDR400 speeds, they only recommend 2 modules total in slots 1-3. If you want to use 3 single sided modules (the 1024mb RAM out these days is double sided) then the speed drops to 333mhz. If you use 3 double sided modules then the speed drops to 200mhz. So, there is no way to run 3 modules of any type at 400mhz+ on this MOBO. Also, you will not be able to reach 3gb of memory using PC3200LL on this board or any other for that matter. The LL memory comes in 256mb (SS) modules and 512mb (DS) modules. So, the fastest speed you can run 2 X 512mb PC3200LL is 400mhz. If you go to 3 X 512mb modules for 1.5gb of RAM, you will be forced to run at 200mhz. Just curious, why do you want/need 3gb of RAM? Mike

• Corsair Employees
BlindBat, Please start at the top of this thread, and read it completely as I have answered all of these questions in this thread, some twice, I am sorry but, I will not answer the same basic question 3 times in the same thread! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: ;):

[quote name='RAM GUY']BlindBat, Please start at the top of this thread, and read it completely as I have answered all of these questions in this thread, some twice, I am sorry but, I will not answer the same basic question 3 times in the same thread! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: ;):[/QUOTE] Did read carefully [b]this[/b] entire thread more then once, and obviously was still confuse. However, I scrolled through the entire forum and can see that you have been asked this question many times and you might be tired of repeating yourself. Sorry about that but in this thread I still did not find my answer, but that's OK, spekmike I guess did clarify things for me somewhat. Blindbat...

[quote name='specmike'][URL=ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v_se_dx/e1491_k8v_se_deluxe.pdf]HERE[/URL] is a link to the manual for this board. Look on page 2-12. Asus shows that if you want to use DDR400 speeds, they only recommend 2 modules total in slots 1-3. If you want to use 3 single sided modules (the 1024mb RAM out these days is double sided) then the speed drops to 333mhz. If you use 3 double sided modules then the speed drops to 200mhz. So, there is no way to run 3 modules of any type at 400mhz+ on this MOBO. Also, you will not be able to reach 3gb of memory using PC3200LL on this board or any other for that matter. The LL memory comes in 256mb (SS) modules and 512mb (DS) modules. So, the fastest speed you can run 2 X 512mb PC3200LL is 400mhz. If you go to 3 X 512mb modules for 1.5gb of RAM, you will be forced to run at 200mhz. Just curious, why do you want/need 3gb of RAM? Mike[/QUOTE] Ummm...frankly not really what I wanted to hear, but certainly does clarify / educates me on why it cannot be done. As to WHY so much ram? Simple the more ram you throw at it the less disk swapping is required and more efficient multi tasking performed. Add to it that with the likes of LockOn coming out with drastic requirements on the memory, who knows what other games in the not so far distant futur will also be begging for memory. I understand the "different" views on my comments here, and some could argue that such quantity of memory is at best used in a server ( I do run a compaq server with 2 gigs of ecc - registered memory). I have yet to "hear" from someone who will convince me that 3 gigs is a waste in a top end workstation / gaming machine? And if it is why is it? ( Please also note the recommandation in the link provided below and pay attention to the SK8V you will notice that 3 gigs is recommended and supported, so as they say if it is good for the goose is must be good for the geese) Lastly, and in reference to the clarifications you have provided here. When i refer to the following recommendations in the Extreme OC for the K8V board, you will notice that Corsair's recommandation would be to use a 3 x 512 sticks. [url]http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/guides/Asus-1203.pdf[/url] Why would one go with pc3200 stick if in fact and as u suggested the memory speed is now so impaired and to a crawling 200 Mhz? Why recommand a pc3200 and not a pc1600 or at best a pc2100? What really puzzles me frankly, is why the limitations on the type of memory module single sided,versus double sided, and why the bandwith is affected so much ...no small feast to suddenly end up at 200 mhz when anticipated was 400 Mhz....when going from 2 stick to 3 sticks? ( Via chipset limitation is my guess...??) Lastly, to add to my confusion and the consumer's confusion, the information provided here somewhat contradicts other information found on Corsair's competitors web site ( shall I name K!ng*ston in fear of being shot?) and therefor one can only wonders who is right. I guess an email to ASUS will be the only way to resolve this. Maximum Memory: 2GB using 400MHz DDR modules Virtually any configuration up to 2GB can be reached using any combination of K!ng*ston's 128, 256, 512MB, and 1GB modules. 3GB using 333MHz DDR modules Virtually any configuration up to 3GB can be reached using any combination of K!ng*ston's 128, 256, 512MB, and 1GB modules. Obviously 1 gig sticks is only way to reach those max....so what's so different between the 1 gig stick of K!ng*ston's, versus Corsair which allows them to reach 2 gig at least in 400 Mhz, and 3 gigs in 333 Mhs (not 200Mhz). All vaporware and marketing hype?? You might understand why the confusion for the memory profane.... Anyhow thank you for your help, and I guess I might have to review my overall strategy, and get a hold of ASUS to get the right time on this, for even among Memory vendors we seem to have discrepancies. Blindbat.

Depending on what OS you use to run your games (WIN XP I assume?) you will most likely never use all of that RAM. We do DV editing and production and I am all for more RAM myself. However, I have seen raging debates over how/when XP actually accesses the paging file. And, I don't think that the OS will ever use the full 3 gigs, no where close in fact. I am far from an expert but on a desktop/gaming machine if 2gb won't do it, there is some problem other than RAM. You may want to investigate, if you have not already, placing your paging file on a physically seperate HD from the OS. This does a great deal for alleviating the I/O bottleneck at the HD. As to the informational discrepencies between Asus, Corsair, and Kin**ton I can't say for sure. But, I do know of the level of expertise and experience posted by RAM GUY. And, Asus is certainly the best authority on what their board will or won't do. I would tend to lean towards these recommendations. With that in mind, I'd suggest the 2 X 1024 sticks of RAM in your machine. You can always buy a 3rd stick if you need it and run it at a slower speed if that is what it requires. Nothing against the other RAM maker but, if you want true performance RAM, stick with a performance RAM company. Good luck, Mike.

Thank you again for your comments, I shall investigate more with ASUS. As for your recommendation of 2 x 1024, yes I am thinking of going that route I guess. As for the vendor/supplier, I take note of your comment regarding Corsair and will keep them in mind in my evaluation / purchase options. Blindbat

• Corsair Employees
Let me clear up a few miss conceptions, "As to WHY so much ram? Simple the more ram you throw at it the less disk swapping is required and more efficient multi tasking performed. Add to it that with the likes of Lock On coming out with drastic requirements on the memory, who knows what other games in the not so far distant future will also be begging for memory." That is not exactly true, at least with more than 2.0 Gig of memory with WinXP and Win2k the Max memory supported is 4.0 Gig and 2 Gig of that will be max cacheable to programs. There are some registry hacks that you can do to change the defaults, however I would not suggest it. Secondly, when you add more memory Windows by default will create a swap file 1.5 times the size of the Ram. With 2.0 Gig of you windows will want to create a 3.0 Gig swap file, for example. You can limit the size of the swap file, but you may have problems running some programs like Adobe Photo shop when working with large files for example. I think you miss-interpret our compatibility guides, "Lastly, and in reference to the clarifications you have provided here. When i refer to the following recommendations in the Extreme OC for the K8V board, you will notice that Corsair's recommendation would be to use a 3 x 512 sticks. http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsai...s/Asus-1203.pdf" This is just listing the MB spec and the nodules that would be compatible in addition, look to the right side and you will see the suggested configuration, and for this MB we have suggested no more than 2 modules. And lastly, When we make suggestions or post suggested configurations, they are based on the chipset spec not any one specific MB maker. MB makers have a tendency to over promise or over market a product. More to the point this MB and CPU combo or any combination may have limitations as to the extent of these limitations, many times some basic understanding of the Chipsets is more important than any one specific MB maker. ASUS makes a great MB: However, they can not change the chip or IC properties just because they touched them.

[quote name='RAM GUY'] This is just listing the MB spec and the nodules that would be compatible in addition, look to the right side and you will see the suggested configuration, and for this MB we have suggested no more than 2 modules. And lastly, When we make suggestions or post suggested configurations, they are based on the chipset spec not any one specific MB maker. MB makers have a tendency to over promise or over market a product. More to the point this MB and CPU combo or any combination may have limitations as to the extent of these limitations, many times some basic understanding of the Chipsets is more important that any one specific MB maker. ASUS makes a great MB: However, they can not change the chip or IC properties just because they touched them.[/QUOTE] My mistake I looked at the recommandation and do see that 2 sticks is recommanded. One of 1 gig ( my mistake I thought 1 twinx1024 = 2 x 512) and one of 512. Is it politically incorrect to ask why it cannot be 2 stick of 1 gig, or is the answer in fact the politically sensitive information to articulate? I understand that you would not want to upset ASUS or MB manufacturers. As for them overstating functionality and under delivering nothing new there, but I sure would like to understand, and make the right decision. I guess the answer to my question, or in fact my question should be: Do you have a reference document that I can go to regarding the VIA chipset so that I can understand the limitation that this chipset brings to the platform and the draw back of going above 1.5 gig? Blindbat...

• Corsair Employees
With out running away with this, certainly you can and get or read the respective makers CPU and Chipset white papers, for most of the information. Again sometimes it's hard to interpret, as they are things that may affect the out come. Like for example. AMD64 CPU's support both Registered and non-registered memory; however, all of the MB's on the market that I have seen only support un-buffered memory. This more than likely; would be a choice made by the MB maker, as it may require a special layout or add more cost to the MB than they felt was acceptable. What makes this a really hard question is, the chipsets all have memory controllers, and however, all of the MB makers have chosen to use the memory controller in the CPU. It does improve memory performance having the memory controller in the CPU core. So thus the justification! That’s the advantage of this platform. In addition, because of the reasons listed above there is maybe some confusing information floating around both from the MB makers and in the user forums!

Archived