Corsair Community

New HX620 wants to send my fans spinning a little too fast

gamato

I just completed my new system with the receipt of my HX620 PSU. A little history: My faithful rig of four plus years recently kicked the bucket, and I salvaged only the DVD-ROM drive, the hard drive, and my Antec 660AMG case with three case fans. Everything appears to be okay, even if I had hoped that the new processor (E6750) and RAM (Corsair DDR2) would be able to load XP a bit faster.

There's just one issue: This PSU is spinning my case fans like crazy. I mean, the system is generally running pretty cool because I'm not overclocking, but the front, side, and rear case fans are spinning what I think has to be full throttle from the time I turn the computer on. My old Antec 430W TruePower PSU had a few "Fan Only" connections (it was not modular) that, when connected to the fans, ran my system quiet enough for the hard drive to generally be the loudest thing in the case. I was pretty happy to see what I thought were the same cables when my HX620 unit came, but using them for the fan cables doesn't appear to have any effect.

I very much hope this is human error on my part. I miss my nice, quiet computer.

These fans don't have anything to plug in to the motherboard, just power connections. I should clarify: On further investigation, the front case fan sounds okay- the only one with a separate connector to the motherboard. I think the others are just supposed to run at 2600 RPM, assuming Antec's current fans are essentially unchanged from when I bought mine. Sent them an email about it too, but the gist is why would two case fans plug into one power supply and run normally, and then plug into another power supply and run faster and louder than normal?

• Corsair Employees
Its hard to say with out seeing the system, but most likely before the other PSU died the voltage was not correct or low and the Voltages are higher or normal with our PSU. Did you check the Voltage in Hardware monitor of the BIOS?

The Corsair HX series fan-only adapter is nothing more than a 12V molex extension. The fan-only connectors on the Antec psu connect to an internal fan controller which controls the system fans according to the temperature inside the power supply. This is roughly proportionate to the total amount of heat in the system.

Archived