Corsair Community

Problems with XMS Twin Pack in ASUS motherboard

Hello, I have looked all over for solutions to this problem, and it certainly does appear that others are experiencing the same as I am, but I have yet to see a solution that works. So I am going to post here with all the detail I can think of and hope something just goes right. Thanks in advance! I recently bought a new system. Everything works perfectly except one thing: When I have both sticks of RAM in my motherboard, my system won't even start. I get some message about "system failed due to CPU overclocking." When I take one stick out, the system starts just fine. The RAM is a twin pack of Corsair 512 MB XMS Platinum Series DDR400 (PC-3200), and I'm trying to put it in an ASUS K8V Deluxe motherboard. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Can you please list the exact part # of the memory modules that you have? It will be on the holographic sticker on the side of the module and start with CMX..... Thanks![/QUOTE] Sure - the part number on the stick I have out of the box at the moment is : CMX512R-3200C2PT Thanks for helping. And by the way, today I went in and set my DDR voltage to 2.7V and set the speed manually to DDR400, with the sticks in DIMMs 1 and 3. It still didn't work!! Pleeeease help :).

[quote name='CMC_SAVAGE']There's your problem. That board does'nt support "Registered" RAM. Any Corsair module with a "R" or "RE" in the part # won't work. If you're looking for unbuffered ECC RAM, Corsair does'nt make any (yet).[/QUOTE] So why does one stick work? I thought AMD chips had to have registered RAM? Furthermore, ASUS recommends two sticks of Corsair XMS memory....

• Corsair Employees
Athlon 64-FX CPU's require registered memory to function. Athlon 64 CPU's use unbuffered memory. AMD won’t say why one stick will work, but it does. However, you can not use more than one stick of registered memory with an Athlon 64 CPU. Please return the memory to your place of purchase and get unbuffered memory to use two sticks in your system. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks!

Okay, let me get this straight so I only have to do this once: Since I have an AMD 64 3000+ processor, 2 sticks of Registered RAM will not work. So I need to buy 2 sticks of unbuffered memory, which will work with my AMD chip? Does this mean I can't get XMS memory for my system? Thanks for all of your help!

Andy, As recommended, contact your memory vendor and arrange to swap your registered modules for un-registered modules. You can buy xms memory as individual units or as a twinx matched set. It is recommended to use a matched set on a MoBo that is dual channel capable. Just do it!

[quote name='andycogbill']Okay, let me get this straight so I only have to do this once: Since I have an AMD 64 3000+ processor, 2 sticks of Registered RAM will not work. So I need to buy 2 sticks of unbuffered memory, which will work with my AMD chip? Does this mean I can't get XMS memory for my system? Thanks for all of your help![/QUOTE] andy, if still not clear and specifically to your question, yes, you can run xms memory on your machine..just not registered memory or "buffered"..only "unbuffered". any computer vendor worth their salt should be familiar with either the term unbuffered or un registered memory..i also would suggest you make sure it isn't the LL version of the memory..(low latency) the part # will have LL at the end..there have been many reported problems with LL memory sticks on these amd64 boards..it just boots too fast and causes an error..there is a workaround by tweaking down your cas timing that should allow it to work but better safe than sorry..and given the memory controller is located on the processor chip on these processors,there is a very very small difference between performance at cas 2 versus cas 3, etc. you only ever notice the difference to a small degree in benchmarking.

• Corsair Employees
The part # of the memory modules that you should be looking for is CMX512-3200C2 PT. That will work with both sticks in the board. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks!

Archived