Corsair Community

two separate CMX512-3200LLPro >still dual channel possible?

Dalma

Hi guys, unfortunately i exceeded my budget limit and can't afford twinmx pc3200LLPRO so i decided to get CMX512-3200LLPro this month and in a month or two another CMX512-3200LLPro. I wondered if dual channel would work because in twinmx the memories are a matched pair. I mailed corsair about this and they said as long as I add another module that has the same exact part # to the system at a later time dual channel operation will be enabled. Otherwise If I end up with two different REV of modules I may have to set the timings manually in order for the system to function correctly. My question to you, how difficult is it to find the same part # in a month or two?

• Corsair Employees
Honestly I cannot answer that question, Winbond who makes the IC we use to make this module, is shutting down and will stop all production so these modules may not be available very much longer at these timings.

This has become a nightmare. I've selected every part of the computer I'm going to build, with the exception of memory. I'm going to get a Barton core AthlonXP 2500+ and OC to a 400 FSB. I had decided on CMX512-3200LL memory, buying one module now and adding another module at a later date. Now, according to this thread, that might not be an option when I decide to add RAM. The extremely low latency settings of this particular module are not the most important feature to me. I decided on this particular model because I supposed that they would be better for running in dual channel mode in the future if I had to make timing adjustments. Now it appears that I won't be able to buy another matching module in the not too distant future due to Winbond getting out of the DRAM business. All of this babbling brings me to the point of the message. With my situation being as it is (wanting to buy one 512 MB module now and another in the future to run in dual channel mode), which memory module should I buy now? I don't plan on going past 400 MHz. And stability is more important to me than the last ounce of speed. Will a "C2" module suit my needs? Will a matching module be available in the next few months? If not, which direction should I go in? Is the "Value Select" memory a viable option? Once again, extremely low latency is not of utmost importance. The small advantage of going from a CL of 3 to 2 won't make that much of a difference to me. I just want to eventually be able to add another module and run in dual channel mode. Other than the AthlonXP 2500+, my rig will consist of an Antec TruePower 480 PSU, an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard, two Western Digital 80 GB hard drives, a DVD+/-RW drive, a CD/RW drive, an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro graphics card. All of the parts decisions are final with the exception of the memory. I've been researching this for over a month and today, when I finally decided on the "LL" Corsair memory, I find that it's being discontinued. So I've not only gone crazy researching this, but, now I'm heartbroken! PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance. sixsixeight [The Neighbor of the Beast]

Thank you very much. I had looked at the non CAS 2 CMX512-3200 but was worried that I'd run into problems when I eventually made the move to buy another stick and use a dual channel setup. Not only have you allayed my fears, you've saved me a lot of money. Thanks again. sixsixeight [The Neighbor of the Beast]

Archived