Corsair Community

Problems with Asus a7n8x-E Delux and pc3200 cl2.5

Matt Illingwort

Hello, I have a problem with getting my memory to work in my Asus a7n8x-e delux board. My system has one memory module installed Manufacturer code vs512mb400 which is 1 512 184dimm pc3200 np cl2.5 and works fine no crashes. i wanted to upgrade it to put in 1 gig of ram so i purchased another identical memory module. The system seems to work fine with the two modules until i try to run any 3d games(simcity 4 and command and conquer generals) both just crash out command and conquer before it gets into the game. i have tested both modules on there own and both games then work fine so i'm guessing the memory is not faulty. i have tried many combinations of dimm slots both dual and single channel and still have problems. i have also tried numerous memory timings and still no joy. After searching through hundreds of threads i'm still not any closer to solving this. Please help. My computer is a Asus a7n8x-e delux board with latest bios version. Athlon 1800xp Agp 3d blaster titanium 4200

• Corsair Employees
Please set the following settings and any settings that are not listed please use bios default or AUTO. CPU Freq: 133 MHz CPU Multiplier: Auto System performance: User Defined Dim Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts CPU Interface Optimal Memory Freq: 125% Resulting Frequency: 166MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T Then please test the memory with [url]www.memtest.org[/url], if you get errors please test the modules one at a time.

I tried the settings that you gave me with the memory in dual channel and unfortunatly i could not boot into windows in order to run memtest. When logging into windows xp i get a dialog box pop up says in the following: Adv INF Install Error creating process c:\windows\inf\cmregmp2.exe /shortcuts /regbrowser reason: insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service i click okay and then windows is all messed up all menus are un usable and the start button is streched right across the screen I then tried using the memory in single channel and again the same problem. I ran memtest86 with each module individually and then both together in dual channel mode, no errors found! Any further ideas? thanks for your time Matt Illingworth

when i did the install of windows i only had 1 of the 512 RAM chips installed and the installation was fine. Its strange because the system works fine as long as i only have one of the chips installed, its as soon as i go to put a second i start getting problems. I'm stuck!

• Corsair Employees
Matt, Please test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url]. If both modules will run and pass [url]www.memtest.org[/url] one up or in single channel, but the system will not run in dual channel mode that would suggest that the chipset is failing.

the memory modules pass memtest when run seperatly or when run together in both single or dual channel mode, i don't seem to get any errors. However it wont boot into windows xp with out reporting problems with system resources, and if i do get into windows i deffinatly can't run any 3d application such as games. If i try to run games the system just crashes out and restarts. I have just tested my memory modules in another board (gigabyte) and they work fine havn't had any problems with it. Do you think i should get my Asus board replaced?

Archived