Corsair Community

Problems with 4 gig RAM in dual channel mode

ken225

I recently purchased an additional 2 gigs of TWIN2X2048-6400 RAM to go with my original 2 gigs of the same RAM. They installed great, but CPU-Z reads them as single channel. I have an MSI P6N SLI Platinum board and have made sure that I'm in the correct slots for dual channel. Oddly enough, when I use my original sticks I can get CPU-Z to report dual channel mode. However, when I take the originals out and use the new sticks, they report single channel mode. Also, when all of them are in, one stick is reported as only 512, although I realize this might be related to the memory addressing issue as I'm running Vista 32 bit. Finally, if it matters, the UPC of the new memory says they're actually TWIN2X2048-6400 G, even though I ordered the memory from Newegg and the "G" wasn't listed. I've posted some CPU-Z screenshots, if it helps.

Thanks!

Picture1.jpg.50970ece9e07612ac8eed773382369a0.jpg

slot1.jpg.822fb1c8a8eaa2f25339a8e613f24bf7.jpg

slot2.jpg.92f6c98d7a74174a45bd2e806e1b3451.jpg

slot3.jpg.558368ea6df365ef64732ba1cb9d9ed5.jpg

slot4.jpg.c76108f9d69063723bf6f9da7201782e.jpg

I recently purchased an additional 2 gigs of TWIN2X2048-6400 RAM to go with my original 2 gigs of the same RAM. They installed great, but CPU-Z reads them as single channel. I have an MSI P6N SLI Platinum board and have made sure that I'm in the correct slots for dual channel. Oddly enough, when I use my original sticks I can get CPU-Z to report dual channel mode. However, when I take the originals out and use the new sticks, they report single channel mode. Also, when all of them are in, one stick is reported as only 512, although I realize this might be related to the memory addressing issue as I'm running Vista 32 bit. Finally, if it matters, the UPC of the new memory says they're actually TWIN2X2048-6400 G, even though I ordered the memory from Newegg and the "G" wasn't listed. I've posted some CPU-Z screenshots, if it helps.

Thanks!

Your CPU-z Memory shows that you are running a mismatched (3584) DRAM configuration. Then the Slot configuration shows that you have 4 X 1024MB. This is very likely the motherboard. You need to remove the DRAM and test in singly on another board to see if the DRAM shows as 1GB modules or if one is in error. I think you will need to RMA the mainboard.

Your CPU-z Memory shows that you are running a mismatched (3584) DRAM configuration. Then the Slot configuration shows that you have 4 X 1024MB. This is very likely the motherboard. You need to remove the DRAM and test in singly on another board to see if the DRAM shows as 1GB modules or if one is in error. I think you will need to RMA the mainboard.

I'm a bit confused. When I put one of the new sticks by itself into Slot 1, it reads 512 meg. The other, by itself, in Slot 1 reads the full 1 gig. When I put the old memory in Slot 1 and Slot 3, they read 2 gigs and CPU-Z shows them in dual mode. When I place the new sticks in Slot 1 and Slot 3, they show single mode in CPU-Z. I don't see how the problem could be my motherboard, if the old RAM correctly shows the amount and mode.

I'm a bit confused. When I put one of the new sticks by itself into Slot 1, it reads 512 meg. The other, by itself, in Slot 1 reads the full 1 gig. When I put the old memory in Slot 1 and Slot 3, they read 2 gigs and CPU-Z shows them in dual mode. When I place the new sticks in Slot 1 and Slot 3, they show single mode in CPU-Z. I don't see how the problem could be my motherboard, if the old RAM correctly shows the amount and mode.

I understand, but if I can run the old memory in Slot 1 and 3 and have them work perfectly, but can't run the new memory in Slot 1 and 3, then it can't be my board. If my board was the culprit, the old memory wouldn't run in dual mode in the exact slots that the new memory fails to do so in.

I understand, but if I can run the old memory in Slot 1 and 3 and have them work perfectly, but can't run the new memory in Slot 1 and 3, then it can't be my board. If my board was the culprit, the old memory wouldn't run in dual mode in the exact slots that the new memory fails to do so in.

I don't see mention of Operating System in the first message. The whole detecting only 3.5gb of 4gb sounds reminiscent of a 32bit OS issue. Most report Windows only being able to address 3.2-3.5gb.

Although I'm not sure this would explain the falling back to single channel mode... Because that should be done at mainboard level.

Of your 4 images, two of them are of Slot #2, I don't think you posted Slot #3.

I don't see mention of Operating System in the first message. The whole detecting only 3.5gb of 4gb sounds reminiscent of a 32bit OS issue. Most report Windows only being able to address 3.2-3.5gb.

Although I'm not sure this would explain the falling back to single channel mode... Because that should be done at mainboard level.

Of your 4 images, two of them are of Slot #2, I don't think you posted Slot #3.

I'm running Vista 32. I understand the memory address problem, but one of the new sticks is being detected as only a 512 when I put it in with just the other 1 gig. So, with the new sticks, it reads only 1.5 gig, instead of the full 2 gig. Therefore, it can't be an issue of the 32 bit operating system. I understand that, with all 4 gigs, I won't be able to see all 4. I should, however, be able to run in dual mode.

I'm running Vista 32. I understand the memory address problem, but one of the new sticks is being detected as only a 512 when I put it in with just the other 1 gig. So, with the new sticks, it reads only 1.5 gig, instead of the full 2 gig. Therefore, it can't be an issue of the 32 bit operating system. I understand that, with all 4 gigs, I won't be able to see all 4. I should, however, be able to run in dual mode.

Archived