Corsair Community

HELP w/ ASUS A7V8X and MEMORY

sar6

HELP NEEDED! I am putting together a new system with an ASUS A7V8X mb and an AMD ATHLON XP 2400+ cpu (333 mHz sticker). I do not know what version of Bios I have. The more I research for compatibity information, the more diverse the answers get, even contradictory. PLEASE... I need to know an accurate answer to the following questions, if someone can help: * Will this mb and processor run well with PC3200 memory? * If I run pc3200, will this mb accept 1 gb of ram, or I am I limited to 512 mb? I want to run at least 1 gb of memory. * As I understand, if I run pc3200 memory, I may have to run the memory speed at 333 mHz to match the FSB?? If this is the case, what advantage is there to running pc3200 (400 mHz) memory? * Would my system perform excellently and better well with pc2700 memory? * Lastly (I think)... please advise me if Corsair XMS1024-3200C2; XMS512-3200C2; XMS1024-2700C2 or XMS512-2700C2 memory would be the best choices. Of course, I am hoping for speed with great performance, but not necessary to the point of having stability problems. :eek: Your help is much appreciated. HELP!?

• Corsair Employees
You can use two modules with this MB, but it is not dual channel so as you add more memory the chipset will not over clock as well. In addition both AMD and VIA suggest that you set the memory Freq to run at the same Freq as your CPU for best performance. With 2 modules and a 2400+ CPU the CPU freq would be 133 MHz, and I would set the memory Freq. ratio to 1-1 and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 with 2 XMS3200C2 modules and you should have a great running system.

[B]Thanks, Ram Guy for the response. One clarification, please. In your response you said I could run 2 XMS3200C2 modules. Do you mean 2 512mb modules to afford 1GB of ram? If so, then would it be better if I ran just one module such as the 1gb module (XMS3200-1024C2)? Thanks for your reply.[/B] [quote name='RAM GUY']You can use two modules with this MB, but it is not dual channel so as you add more memory the chipset will not over clock as well. In addition both AMD and VIA suggest that you set the memory Freq to run at the same Freq as your CPU for best performance. With 2 modules and a 2400+ CPU the CPU freq would be 133 MHz, and I would set the memory Freq. ratio to 1-1 and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 with 2 XMS3200C2 modules and you should have a great running system.[/QUOTE]

• Corsair Employees
Well the 1.0 Gig module would be Cass 3-3-3-8, where as CMX512-3200C2 would be Cass 2-3-3-6. Therefore, if you use two modules or Twinx1024-3200C2 that would be a bit faster but you would not be able to add more memory with out running at DDR266. The 1.0 Gig modules would be a bit slower concerning memory timings, but you would be able to add a second module for 2.0 Gig of total memory and probably run them at DDR400.

• 8 years later...
Like i stated before all you can do is try. Anytime you are non matched sticks, or sticks from multiple vendors there is no way to say if it will work or not. With a system that old finding a matched kit is going to be pretty hard. All you can do is try. Start out with DDR333 and if it is not stable, try DDR266

Archived