Corsair Community

Need Help Overclocking..having trouble!

Hi- I am new to ocing, but I have read many posts, and can't seem to figure out where my trouble is coming from. First let me tell you my specs: Asus A78x-e deluxe mobo AMD 2500+ Barton cpu Corsair TwinX 3200LL 512mb SeaGate 7200 120gb HD Nvidia fx 5600 256mb video card 420watt power supply My problem is that I can't seem to get past 175mhz on the cpu external frequency. I left the multiplier at 11, and increased teh Vcore to 1.7...no help. Any ideas? Any info would be of great help. thanks Paul

Good overclocking needs good cooling...What is your cooling solution? Also, in which area are your CPU/Mobo temperatures? Another factor is the AGP bus speed. Is it locked in Bios, so that it's not affected by FSB increase? For info, I could reach 198 Mhz (*10,5 = 2079 Mhz CPU) with nearly the same specs as yours (A7N8X-Dlx) with a crappy cooler. Skogkatt

[quote name='prg151']Hi- I am new to ocing, but I have read many posts, and can't seem to figure out where my trouble is coming from. First let me tell you my specs: Asus A78x-e deluxe mobo AMD 2500+ Barton cpu Corsair TwinX 3200LL 512mb SeaGate 7200 120gb HD Nvidia fx 5600 256mb video card 420watt power supply My problem is that I can't seem to get past 175mhz on the cpu external frequency. I left the multiplier at 11, and increased teh Vcore to 1.7...no help. Any ideas? Any info would be of great help. thanks Paul[/QUOTE] Also, many mobo's have jumpers on them that need to be moved to enable a higher fsb. I remember hitting a "wall" with my oc until I remembered the jumper wasn't changed yet. After I switched the jumper, all was fine. The AMD's like a 1:1 ratio as well.....AND you shouldn't mess at all with the AGP bus speed.....I don't know what skog was getting at there. What's happening when you reach 176? Are you getting a blue screen or what?

Concerning the AGP bus speed it's quite simple : When you increase the FSB, the AGP bus increase as well if it's not locked. And most video cards don't react very well to that. For ex : FSB 166 --> 180. AGP 66 --> 72. FSB 166 --> 200 : AGP 66 --> 80. The only jumper of importance for you is the one left to the north bridge (when the CPU socket is at the top). Per default it allows you all the FSB spectrum, and you wouldn't boot at 166 if it was in another position. So just stick to the Bios...

Archived