Corsair Community

Shuttle SN85G4 Memory

ksuxtc

I'm buying a Shuttle SN85G4 XPC and am having some trouble deciding on what memory to use. I have listed the Corsair memory modules that Shuttle recommends. I can't seem to find a place to buy CMX512-3200 anywhere, so I am wondering if CMX512-3200C2 will work instead. I have sent emails to Shuttle inquiring about additional memory support but have not received an answer. I'd appreciate anyone's help. Corsair 512MB PC3200 CMX512-3200 Corsair 512MB PC3200 CMX512-3200LLPT Corsair 512MB PC3200 Winbond W942508CH-5 Corsair 512MB PC3700 CMX512-3700 Corsair 512MB PC3700 Winbond CMX512--(466) [url]http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/barebone/cpulist.asp?B_id=25&page=2[/url]

i also have a shuttle sn85g4 and want 2 upgrade the memory to twinx xms, but cant decide which model 2 get, my local dealer has cmx1024 3700pt(187) 1024-3200llpt(182) cmx10243200c2pro(179) cmx1024 3200c2(149) in stock the prices are shown in brackets, what benefits will the pc3700 ddr466 have 2 all the others cos i am tempted 2 get this set cos its only a few pounds more, or is ther another higher spec memory u can recommend that will be compatible

• Corsair Employees
I would not suggest XMS3700 with this system, but XMS3200C2 should run great in this system, just set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and please check your user manual, as you may have to run the system at DDR333 with more than one module.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having trouble installing WinXP Pro on the SN85G4, I updated it to the latest BIOS and it still has problems on install, when its copying files on install it sometimes stops and says the file on the Hard Drive was not copied correctly and press return to try again (the disc is fine). I first thought it was a hard drive problem but I have tested the drive and also used a second drive. I read in the latest PCPRO magazine (April 2004) that they had the same problem with a Gigibyte board and on changing the ram sorted it out. I have two 512 3200LLPRO sticks in (Twin1024-3200LLPRO), i've tried setting them as 333 (instead of 400) and also set the voltages higher as I read in this forum and still problems. Is this RAM compatible or should I change it? Just thought I should add that I have run the Memtest v1.11 program and see if it reports any errors, I will test each stick seperately in each of the motherboard slots and both together. Test has been run on both at once and about 42000 errors where reported, One tested on its own had no errors which ever slot I plugged it in but the other had 4000+ errors (same in each port), so I guess I need a replacement of the dead stick. I bought them from dabs.com just before Xmas, should I cantact them directly or do you sort out the replacements?

Hi, I have also just purchased the SN85G4 and am looking to upgrade my RAM. I was just about to purchase 2x512mb corsair xms3700 twinx when I came across this thread. Can you please elaborate on why this RAM is not suggested for the system? I have ordered it but not paid for it. I'm wondering if I should now cancel this order. You advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got the replacements (TwinX1024 3200LLPRO, basically just two 512meg CMX 3200LLPRO sticks), the Shuttle SN854G computer is now up and running with no problems. :sunglasse The chips do get quite hot (they are next to the PSU), but I think these small PC's run hot anyway so I run it without the lid on, it's not to noisy if you have the AMD cool and quite working. What's the temperature specification for these sticks?

• Corsair Employees
Memory in general can run a lot hotter than the system so there should not be any problem. Shuttle should have done thermal testing with their system, so I would try it closed and see if the system is stable. Many times these systems are made to run closed and may run a bit hotter with the side open the way they are made. If you are really concerned by it you can use an outside thermometer and put the probe nest to the memory and see how hot it gets. You can get these at most hardware stores for less than $30.00 and it’s an easy to tell. If the Temp gets over 120-130 Deg F, I would try and do something to keep it cooler. But I think you will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
The only thing I can find locally is 2GB in a matched pair. What issues does this raise and what about the voltage of 2.7 as recommended in another post? The same post also recommended (I think) 2.5,3,3,6.

Archived