Corsair Community

Possible bad RAM...how do I know?

I built my computer about a year ago. I have a set of TWINX3200LL sticks, equaling 1GB of RAM. My processor runs at a 333MHz bus, and originally I had the RAM running at 400MHz (SPD in BIOS setting). I was having several problems, and could run ONE stick with no problems, but had issues with the other. Right before I sent it in, Ramguy suggested I try running it at 333MHz...and I've had no problems since. Recently, I have been plagued with very similar issues. When I play a certain game, in a split second the computer will just reset in the middle of it. Also, sometimes it crashes to desktop when it initially loads, or it crashes while I'm in game. I have gotten a few errors from Windows when I restarted, stating it's a hardware issue that crashed the system. I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board...which gives you a verbal indication of the POST results...and about 1 out of 10 times that my computer starts up, I get a "System failed memory test" (this has always happened since I've had the computer). Since I never had any problems, I figured it was just a small glitch in the test every once in a while. Now it seems to be a bit more frequent...in fact, the last two times I've started up my computer I got that message. Anyway, I am not SURE my memory is the problem, although I was having issues with it when I first got it. Is there a way that I can find out FOR SURE that I have a bad stick of RAM? Or should I just try to swap it? Thanks!

Archived