Corsair Community

Does 4 X 1 = 2 X 2?

Null_

I'm putting together a machine based on an Abit IC7-Max3 and an Intel P4 3.2 Ghz (Northwood) 800FBS cpu and I want to use 2GB ram. My first choice is 2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) DDR (400) PC-3200 Corsair (TWINX2048-3200PT) but that's kinda pricey although I hear that using 2 1GB modules is better than using 4 512MB modules. But, can I get by with 4 sticks? And if so, which ones? I've looked at 2 pairs of TWINX1024-3200C2PRO. Kinda nice but still kinda pricey, almost the same as the 2 1GB modules. But I did find a great price on single sticks of the CMX512-3200C2PRO. I can get four of those and save a consideral amout of money, about $75. So, what should I do? Will four sticks of CMX512-3200C2PRO work? Do I *have* to buy ram in matched sets for them to work well? Even if I do buy matched pairs, is there any guarantee that if I get 2 pairs of matched pairs that one matched pair will match the second matched pair at all?

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules, you can try it don’t get me wrong there are several that have had not problems. However, some things you need to consider with 4 Pro modules you would need to add 60 Watts extra to the power needed and 48 Watts for the non pro Version. In other words, I would venture to guess that many who have had problems may be because of lack of power as one possible cause. And there is more loading with more modules so the chipset will have less margin, therefore the system will not over clock as well as it would with just 2 modules. However, I would suggest if you just really want to try this, you use two Twinx1024-3200C2 modules and you leave the timings set to By SPD and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts. If you have problems, I would test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] to make sure one is not weak. However, I would not suggest more than one Twinx set with any MB. Moreover we will only guarantee one set at the rated speed because oft he reason listed above.

Archived