Corsair Community

Hydrocools constant drone sound

Sil180sR

I’m actually quite disappointed at the noise that this product creates. At first I was running pure water in the system and the pump was very loud. So I surfed onto these forums to find out that using the supplied additive It would tone down the noise of the pump. After adding the whole bottle of coolant the pump isn’t as noisy but still imo is very loud. Compared to my original air cooling this products pump is very loud! Is there anything that can be done to stop this droning (humming) that’s driving me nuts? Or an alternative watercooling setup that makes 20dba? Thanks!

You're disappointed :eek: I would think you are use to things going wrong since you run equipment without reading the basic instructions :roll: The instructions plainly state to put all of the coolant in the system and to use distilled water :sigh!: You ran the system with just "pure" water and complain about the pump noise, as stated numerous times throughout this site the system needs the coolant for "lubrication, corrosion protection, etc." Your answer to your newest complaint about the "humming" has been answered about 60 times at this site. LEARN TO READ AND QUITE :[pouts: The Hydrocool is a great system, your problem is the "USER INTERFACE"

Thanks for the reply! regardless I have filled the system with all the coolant and ran the system while I'm not in the room hoping to rid the system of air (not yet put on the cpu), there are no bubbles in the lines and no known air in the radiator as I have ran the system in different directions to rid the air but the pump still makes much more noise compared to the fan. I did read the post where someone said their hydrocools pump was virtually silent and quieter than the fan, as mine is the other way around. I do not see a o-ring possibly because my system is the "ex" version and is newer? Would be grateful to hear your comments!

[quote name='Sil180sR']I’m actually quite disappointed at the noise that this product creates. At first I was running pure water in the system and the pump was very loud. So I surfed onto these forums to find out that using the supplied additive It would tone down the noise of the pump. After adding the whole bottle of coolant the pump isn’t as noisy but still imo is very loud. Compared to my original air cooling this products pump is very loud! Is there anything that can be done to stop this droning (humming) that’s driving me nuts? Or an alternative watercooling setup that makes 20dba? Thanks![/QUOTE] Sil180sR, When you mention "pure water", is that tap water you were using? You didn't add any coolant then? How long did you run it like this? :question: Stev

• Corsair Employees
Depending on the time that you ran the system without coolant, there could be considerable corrosion in the system. Please see this [URL=http://www.water-cooling.com/articles/waterwetter/waterwetter.php]article[/URL] for reference. We have a copper block and aluminum radiator. Two metals that will cause corrosion at a high rate without protection.

I ran distilled no sodium for about 5 minutes adn then added the coolant? Ive been using it for abour a week now and it still makes the same sound it always had since the start? sounds like a shot bearing? or sumthing rubbing inside the pump: (

• Corsair Employees
If you have used the whole container of fluid you should not have any problems. If the system has been running for a week with the same amount of noise, I would suggest making sure the filling cap is secure and rock the unit side to side or front to back and try to remove any air trapped in the pump. If you continue to have problems please let me know. Thanks!

I have rocked and tilted the system and did not see anymore bubbles. Double checked my reservoir liquid level and it is at the bottom of the threads. If i were to describe the sound the pump makes it sounds like a buzzing as if metal was bouncing around a plastic container.

Archived