Corsair Community

Corsair HX 620W and PCI-E connectors

Muleman

Last week I purchased a Corsair HX Series 620W Modular ATX PSU.

I have also purchased a new Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 2900 Pro SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) graphics card.

This graphics card requires either two (2x3) 6-pin PCI-E power connectors or one (2x3) 6-pin and one (2x4) 8-pin PCI-E power connectors.

On the PCI-E connectors supplied with the Corsair HX Series 620W Modular ATX PSU, there is a spare loose 2-pin connector on the card end.

Is this combined with the (2x3) 6-pin PCI-E connector, to make the (2x4) 8-pin PCI-E?

Also, if all goes well I was thinking about doubling up for Crossfire, but I only received 2 PCI-E connectors, each with a single 6+2 pin connector on the end of each. How do I adapt to attach four PCI-E power connectors?

Here is the card manual info...

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2772&stc=1&d=1191343729

Connect either two 2×3-pin PCIe™ power connectors, or one 2×3-pin

and one 2×4-pin PCIe™ power connector to the graphics card.

When connecting a 2×3-pin PCIe™ power connector to the 2×4-pin

connection, the connector should cover the 6 pins of the 2×4-pin

connection that are farthest away from the 2×3-pin connection on the

graphics card.

Note: For optimal performance, and for ATI Overdrive, Overclock,

and CrossFire™ configurations, use one 2×3-pin and one 2×4-pin

PCIe™ power connectors on a 750 watt or better power supply.

448290435_HD2900Pro.jpg.29fe758c106914d86381bbc4d0238691.jpg

Thanks

Also, if all goes well I was thinking about doubling up for Crossfire, but I only received 2 PCI-E connectors, each with a single 6+2 pin connector on the end of each. How do I adapt to attach four PCI-E power connectors?

I was almost positive that Corsair offered upgraded PCIe cables with a 6-pin and 6+2-pin on each cable for a total of 4 PCIe connectors. I've seen Ramguy mention it before, but to be honest the only ones that I have seen are a single 6 pin or the new 6+2 pin; not a combination of both on one cable.

Corsair should definitely offer them for HX620 owners IMO. ;):

Yes, its a bit confusing reading other posts about PCI-E cables, whether the new cables are supposed to have one six pin and one eight pin that can BOTH be used as connectors.

Each of my cables have one 6 pin and one 6+2 pin, but the 6 pin fits in the PSU (obviously), so all you get to use are two single 6+2 pin sockets.

Considering most people would only buy a high end PSU to use with high end graphics cards, it seems strange that only two single ended 6+2 PCI-E cables are included. Especially when most people with high end PSU's/graphics cards tend to skimp on other hardware so that as much power as possible is left to feed these modern, hungry VGA's.

What's even more frustrating is that you are left over with half a bag of standard cables that most likely never be used (maybe until games become so graphically intense, they need six SATA2's just to store the data :eek:)

But then... maybe I'm wrong and only a small minority of high-end PSU users would conceive going SLI or Crossfire..?

I don't know if I'd recommend a pair of 2900's with 620W rated PSU. While the HX620 should have ample amperage, wattage load weight reliant on the rest of your system might be pushing it.

The 2900XT's have been rated at 520-570W Crossfire at peak load, which leaves very little for cpu (especially if you have a hungry C2Q or similar). While the Pro's run at slightly lower clockspeed, thus likely lower peak wattage under load, you're still going to be close to your peak PSU operating wattage.

I always try to shoot for that 80-85% peak load figure as I get the best PSU life this way, as well as lower PSU operating temps. For Crossfire gaming, figure you'll be loading your PSU close to it's peak rated wattage for hours on end.

On the PCI-E connectors- if you don't plan to overclock, you can use a pair of standard PCI-E 6-pin connectors on the Pro's. The 8-pin molex is carried over from the 2900XT and used for Overdrive (ATI's overclocking feature). If you're running stock clock, you only need 4x6-pin PCI-E connectors to power a pair of them.

If you're running stock clock, you only need 4x6-pin PCI-E connectors to power a pair of them.

Appreciate the advice, really I do...

but the problem still remains that you only get ONE 6-pin PCI-E plug on each of the TWO supplied cables in the UK (each with a loose 2 pin). So even running two, less power hungry, 8800 GTX's requires 4 single connectors (as you correctly point out)... but you still only get supplied with 2 single connectors.

This is the point that doesn't seem to be getting across.

What I deduce from other comments on this forum is that the PCI-E cables supplied in the US have BOTH a usable 6 pin plug and an 8 pin plug, at the end of the 6 pin plug that fits into the PSU.... and you get 2 of them.

• Corsair Employees

Our HX series PSUs originally shipped with 2 PCI-E cables. Each of these cables had 1x 6-pin connector. Currently our PSUs are still shipping with 2 PCI-E cables, however each one of these cables has 2 connectors on it (a 6-Pin and a 6+8-Pin). So the newer PSUs have a total of 2x 6-Pin connectors and 2x 6+2-Pin Connectors.

If you require the newer cables, please send an email with your name address and phone number to ramguy@corsairmemory.com with "ATT: Ramguy" in the subject line.

Our HX series PSUs originally shipped with 2 PCI-E cables. Each of these cables had 1x 6-pin connector. Currently our PSUs are still shipping with 2 PCI-E cables, however each one of these cables has 2 connectors on it (a 6-Pin and a 6+8-Pin). So the newer PSUs have a total of 2x 6-Pin connectors and 2x 6+2-Pin Connectors.

If you require the newer cables, please send an email with your name address and phone number to ramguy@corsairmemory.com with "ATT: Ramguy" in the subject line.

Hooray :sigh!: :): :biggrin: :laughing:

Felt sure Corsair would have updated their cables for Sli and Crossfire.

Just got the PSU earlier this week, so I guess UK must still be shipping older stock.

Thanks RamGuy... its done.

Archived