Corsair Community

Timings for GA-P35-DS3L + 4GB 6400C4DHX

greghoward

Hi RamGuy (and others),

I've done my best to scour the forum for an answer to this question before posting myself, but have so far found nothing. I'm looking for the appropriate timings for the following system.

Antec P180B w/Corsair 620HX PSU

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

2x TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX (4GB total)

eVGA GeForce 8600GT 256MB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB

My understanding is that 6400C4DHX modules should run at 4-4-4-12 under 2.1V in this configuration, and that I should set the configuration by pressing the "secret" Ctrl-F1 sequence in the BIOS main page and then setting options in the MB Intelligent Tweaker page. Unfortunately, while Memtest86+ 1.70 shows the modules as running solid with no errors (for 12 hours) at the SPD default settings, pushing the timings to what I believe are the proper values gives me very consistent, repeatable Memtest86+ errors with the following characteristics on every pass of test #5:

Error in Test #5, Address 0002e0cf458 (736.9MB): fffffdff reads fffefdff with bit error

Error in Test #5, Address 0002e0cffd8 (736.9MB): ffbfffff reads ff3fffff with bit error

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding one of the timing variables? Please confirm the proper entry for each of these fields. I've also provided the SPD defaults.

Performance Enhance: Turbo by default (set to Standard?)

System Memory Multiplier: Auto

Memory Frequency: 800 Mhz

High Speed DRAM DLL Settings: Option 1 (Option 2 available, but leaving #1)

CAS Latency Time: 5 (set to 4?)

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 (set to 4?)

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5 (set to 4?)

Precharge Delay (tRAS): 18 (set to 12?)

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD): 3

Rank Write to READ Delay: 3

Write to Precharge Delay: 6

Refresh to ACT Delay: 42 (no manual default; leave at 42?)

Read to Precharge Delay: 3

tRD: 4

tRD Phase Adjustment: 0

DDR2 Overvoltage: Normal (set to +0.3V?)

No Command Rate option is available

Please let me know if these settings are correct and if you think the Memtest error indicates that I should isolate the affected module (or matched pair) and have it/them replaced. Thanks for your help.

~ greg

• Corsair Employees

With four modules you may have to make some additional changes. Try increasing the "Write to Precharge Delay" to 15, and the tRC to 28. Command rate may be called 1T/2T timing, or Command per clock, or it may not be listed.

If changing these settings does not resolve the issues then I would recommend that you test the modules in their respective pairs. If you get no errors with each pair, then there may be a configuration issue while running 4 modules, however if one pair is giving you errors and the other one is passing, then you may have a faulty module.

I understand that four modules may require different settings ... but I ran into something very interesting. I did some additional testing last night after my post, and I tried the following settings.

Performance Enhance: Turbo default

System Memory Multiplier: Auto default

Memory Frequency: 800 Mhz default

High Speed DRAM DLL Settings: Option 1 default

CAS Latency Time: 4 set manually

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4 set manually

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4 set manually

Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12 set manually

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD): 3 default

Rank Write to READ Delay: 3 default

Write to Precharge Delay: 6 default

Refresh to ACT Delay: 42 default

Read to Precharge Delay: 3 default

tRD: 4 default

tRD Phase Adjustment: 0 default

DDR2 Overvoltage: Left at Normal (1.8V?!)

No Command Rate option is available

Note that this was before your reply, so I did not try setting "Write to Precharge Delay" to 15. Command rate is definitely not listed. Also, I don't see the tRC value you want set to 28. Which is it?

The important change, through, is that I did not bump the voltage past "Normal," which I assume means that it is still at the 1.8V DDR2 default. I know that the voltage should be 2.1V for 4-4-4-12 timings ... which is why I'm confused that this setup ran stable in Memtest86+ overnight with no errors.

I haven't tried installing Windows yet because I want to make sure the RAM is rock-solid first. Any idea what's going on here? Is there some way to confirm what the DDR2 "Normal" voltage is from a boot disk? Or should I not worry about it, take the stable settings (with or without your suggested modifications), and go ahead with my system setup?

Thanks for your help, RamGuy!

~ greg

1) Ironically, I think I tried with these settings at +0.2V and got even more Memtest errors, then stepped back to "Normal" and got none. I can test again, though. Isn't 4-4-4-12 at 1.8V pretty much impossible, though?

2) If it's stable now, should I still try setting "Write to Precharge Delay" to 15? Might a value of 6 cause problems that are "silent" in Memtest?

3) I don't see an entry called "tRC" to set to 28. What are you referring to?

• Corsair Employees

1) Ironically, I think I tried with these settings at +0.2V and got even more Memtest errors, then stepped back to "Normal" and got none. I can test again, though. Isn't 4-4-4-12 at 1.8V pretty much impossible, though?

A: yes please test them again and if increasing the Voltage generates errors that might suggest a power problem with the PSU or MB.

2) If it's stable now, should I still try setting "Write to Precharge Delay" to 15? Might a value of 6 cause problems that are "silent" in Memtest?

A: If the system was stable then I doubt you would be posting asking for help correct?

3) I don't see an entry called "tRC" to set to 28. What are you referring to?

A: Scroll down and see if it is listed and if it's not them just ignore it.

Archived