Corsair Community

memtest powers down computer

mdreed

Was getting some BSOD errors and decided to run windiag, microsofts memory checker. I received 4 errors after testing 7 times and then computer shut off.

I downloaded and ran memtest86+ v1.70 and it started no problem. However a couple minutes into the test(test #3 98%) the entire systems turns off. Any attempt power back on just results in a black screen with no beeps. After a couple minutes of being turned off it will sometimes reboot as normal. This happens every time i run memtest. Is this a memory problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All bios settings are set to auto.

System:

ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set the timings to 5-5-5-15 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Make sure when running memtest you have “Legacy USB Support” disabled in the BIOS.

I changed the settings and memcheck still caused the system to turn off at 98% of test 3. Except now i can't even boot and get into bios. When I try and power up it just goes to a blank screen. This happens with each dimm individually and together.

If I take out both I receive the POST beep errors that lemme know I have no ram installed. Not sure if thats a good thing. Any suggestions?

Had the ram for 94 days which puts me out of the store warranty (90 days - newegg)

• Corsair Employees
I would be unlikely that both modules would fail at the same time, and if both are giving you the same issues when tested individually there is likely another problem. Are you able to test the modules in a known working system? If you haven't tried already, I would recommend that you clear the CMOS and then retest the memory individually and see if you can get to the BIOS.

I cleared the bios via the jumper on the mobo and no change. Unfortunately i dont have another computer i can test the memory in. Headed to a local computer store to see if they have any systems I can test the ram in. Thank you for all the help so far.

Just got back from computer store and they said 1 dimm was bad. Computer is working fine with 1 memory module installed. Not sure why it didnt work at home when i tried that. Just glad to see computer working. So what is the next step for the bad ram? Running memcheck on the good ram just to be sure, but everything seems stable right now.

Archived