Corsair Community

Asus P5N-E SLI + Twin2X2048-6400C4 G and a n00b

RedMachine

Hi everybody!

First off all, sorry for my bad English, i hope you understand the most important parts ;):

Since I don`t know what to do anymore, I thought I`ll try asking you pro`s.

I built myself a new machine these days using the following parts:

Processor: Intel Core2Duo E6750

Mainboard: Asus P5N-E SLI (0703 BIOS)

Graphics: Asus GF 8800GTS 640MB

RAM: Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4 G

Power: Tagan TG530-U15 530W

My problem is, that games always freeze after about 5-20 Mins when I stick both RAM modules in. With just 1 Module inserted everything runs stable and smooth, Memtest shows no errors (I tested both on their own). With both inserted it gives me up to 150 errors at 1 pass, but each turn on different locations. I returned the Mainboard and the RAM and got new parts in exchange, same problem again.

So i read some threads here und set the RAM Voltage to 2.085V in BIOS. Memtest now shows no errors on the first pass, at the second one they come again. Games run a little bit longer now, but still freeze sooner or later.

Is there anything else I can try to change, or do I really have to get another Mainboard? I`m a bit desperate right now... :[pouts:

(I read something about changing the RAM timing here, but I can`t find the right option in the BIOS)

Thank you very much (!!!) in advance for reading my little text and for any thoughts or ideas you have for me. Any help is welcome!!

Greetings from Germany,

Patrick

Hi, it`s me again.

After a night of testing (phew :p: ), i found the memory timing option in the BIOS and set the parameters to 4-4-4-12-2. Memtest showed no error on 3 test passes (with both RAM-sticks plugged in), but "Test Drive Unlimited" just froze after about 1,5h of playing (which was longer then ever before :laughing: ).

Just wanted to let you know, maybe it helps...

Looking forward to hear from you,

Patrick

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Hey RAM GUY, thanks for the answer. Finally I meet you in person :biggrin:

I already have the newest BIOS (0703) and the settings are default, except the memory voltage of 2.1V and the 4-4-4-12-2 timings. I hope they are correct for my Twin2X2048-6400C4 G modules.

If I test one module at a time, there are no problems in Memtest or in games. Everything runs smooth and stable, no matter which of the two modules I insert.

Also, I already returned the RAM and even the Mainboard but the freezes keep coming.

I have to say my games run much longer since I changed the memory voltage and timing (this makes me think there`s a problem with the settings, not the hardware), but still not like it should be.

Is there anything else I could try?

See you,

Patrick

• Corsair Employees

Patrick,

If the modules are running with out problems one up that would suggest some other problem, and from looking at the system configuration, the one thing that stands out would be the PSU you have. It would need to be able to provide about 26 Amos on one 12 Volts Rail for that Video card. You might check with the Video Card maker and see if that PSU is listed. Also you might try and move the modules to the other two slots and then load setup defaults and set the Voltage and timings again and see if that helps.

Hi again,

sorry for not posting the last few days but I left the machine alone for some time. (Needed a little break from the freezes ;): )

Anyway, I found out that the reason for the freezes was Test Drive Unlimited with its buggy code. All other games run fine and without problems since I changed the memory voltage und timing like you said.

So, there`s nothing more to do than send a big THANK YOU SO MUCH over to you, RamGuy. I wish all companies had a dude like you! I`m really glad I invested some extra €`s in Corsair memory now.

Best regards,

Patrick

Archived