Corsair Community

Dominator 9136 stability problem at 2.1v default

pippolegend

Hi, i'm experiencing stability problem (apps crash and bsod) with my system (intel qx6800, evga 680i, xfx8800 ultra, 2x2048 xms2 dominator 9136 c5, win vista) using default voltage at 2.1v. Mem tests ok.

My bios settings (bios rev. p30): sli memory enabled at cpuoc max, fsb 1066, mem at 1143 default, mem timings at defaults 5-5-5-15. To remove crash and bsod i have to inrcrease mem voltage; now i'm running stable using 2.3v and 1.5v SPP (default 1.45)

Where is it wrong?

thanks

This board is known to have issues with overvolting the DRAM.

You may wish to research:

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=121329&mpage=1&key=%F0%9D%A7%B1

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/who_s_killing_your_ram

You have taken the DRAM out of it's maximum warranted spec and by increasing it more, you will very likely damage the IC modules. My advice? With this board. Drop your DRAM speed and find stability at the level of no more than 2.0v. Or, move to a board that works better with DRAM.

To remove crash and bsod i have to inrcrease mem voltage; now i'm running stable using 2.3v

The Board overvolts DRAM. Research this board of yours. Go to the EVGA website forums and ask others with your board about the DRAM overvolting issue. You are setting the board to 2.3V and it is a known DRAM overvolting board. You have taken it out of default voltage on a board that overvolts!!!

This has been my experience with two boards and a digital multi-meter. One board overvolted by ~.5v and the other was closer to .75v.

You will, of course, find much more information about this on the EVGA website...

My advice? Drop the DRAM to 2.1v at 800Mhz and test your boards Vdimm with a Digital multi-meter. Then test with 2.2V. Then test with 2.3V. This will give you the pattern of increased voltages on your individual board and let you know what voltage you should be setting to.

Archived