Corsair Community

Buying New P5K Deluxe ----800 or 1066 TWINX? Plz Help

webnetjogger

I am going to buy a Asus P5k Deluxe/Wifi, with a Intel Q6600 CPU. I want to overclock this cpu. But i need to know what would run better for that.

Corsair reccomends these modules:

Enthusiast TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX

Overclocker TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

The QVL for the motherboard only has the corsair ram qualified in 1 gig modules, not in a 2gig set.

I want to run only 2 gigs of one of these. Which ever would be faster and the most stable while my Q6600 is overclocked.

Does the memspeed technology they supposedly have make a difference either. Say its supports 1066 ram but not officially.

any help is greatly appreciated. :cool:

Your processor runs on a 1066MHz Quad Pumped bus. That is 266Mhz X 4 = 1066. Now with Dual Channel Mode and a non-overclocked system, you would need 266 X 2 = 533Mhz DRAM to run your CPU and DRAM at a 1:1 ratio.

If you overclocked that CPU to 3.6Ghz (9 X 400Mhz), you would end up with a 1600Mhz Quad Pumped bus. That is 400Mhz x 4 = 1600MHz and 9 X 400 = 3.6Ghz. So for your RAM to run in a 1:1 Ratio with that 400MHz bus, you would need 800Mhz RAM for Dual Channel Mode. Thus 6400MHz DRAM would be fine for this overclock. 1066Mhz DRAM would allow you to clock it higher than 1:1 with the DRAM running faster than the CPU. Canned bandwidth benchmarks will show a theoretical increased bandwidth, but in reality you will not find that great a benefit in real practical application use.

I would go with 6400C4 modules that allow you to easily run at 800Mhz with 4-4-4-12 timings.

Keep in mind that if you intend on clocking that CPU up, then you will need a good aftermarket cooler and the Thermalright Ultra eXtreme is a great cooler:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-ultra120ex.html

If you need any help with the upclocking, please post in the enthusiast section and you will find your help there.

Thank you for the quick response, and great information.

This is my first intel system and first quad core.

So there shouldnt be a problem with QVL list?

Also this computer is going to be used mostly for audio and video encoding, while playing games. Stable first, speed second.

I only really want to overclock it to 3 Ghz. If i can go higher cool, but i think that would be a good overclock, without sacrificing heat and stability. Since it will run almost 24/7.

If i only go 3Ghz OC would the 1066 ram be better or should i still use the 800 ram. OR is it that the 800ram is better supported and will be more stable?

I will buy that Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme you recommended. Thanks for the link , awesome cooler. I am using the ZalmanCNPS9700 on my amd rig and thing beats it easily.

At 3Ghz I would personally go for the 6400C4. You will be running 9 X 333 = ~3GHz. That means a 1:1 relationship with your processor will be DDR2 667Mhz. So 800Mhz 6400C4 will allow you to make 4-4-4-10 (very likely) at 667MHz or increase the DRAM throughput higher than the CPU and run it at 800MHz with 4-4-4-12 timings. I would personally not go any higher than the 800MHz 6400C4 with your system build.

This RAM will work fine with your P5K-Deluxe. You may wish to go with the P5K-E /Wifi as it is less money and basically the same board. The difference is minimal. For 50+ dollars you get two GB Ethernet vs 1GB Ethernet and a slightly smaller cooling config which will make absolutely no difference with an overclock up to 3.6Ghz. I have worked with both boards.

Archived