Corsair Community

RAM/Motherboard Compatibility Problems?

adian

Hi, I'm having some trouble with a new computer that I'm building that can only be two things, the motherboard or the RAM. Here are my relevant specs: Motherboard: A-Bit IC7-G i875 chipset Processor: Pentium 4 2.8c Power Supply: Antec 350W BIOS: Version 22, optimized defaults (to start) RAM: Listed as TWINX512-3200C2 on the memory guide. Its a pair of 256 modules with platinum heatsinks, if that makes a difference. I purchased this particular memory because the memory guide said that it was compatible with my motherboard and chipset. Additionally, a good number of motherboard reviews used it in their testing, so I thought it was a safe bet for compatibility. Upon attempting to install windows, I would get various memory errors, each of which would make me shut down the computer. After trying what I could with my limited knowledge, I decided to seek help on Abit's forums. Eventually it was suggested that I should run Memtest86+ on my memory, and I've posted the initial results below. This is with 2.6V and the AGP ratio set to default, and the default test on Memtest. Two modules running in dual channel, tested in both slots 1 and 3, and 2 and 4. I started recieving errors immidiately with Memtest, they were constant and neverending. By the time I shut the first test off after about an hour, I was up to 12,000,000 errors and counting. Each module individually in slot one gave me better results each time. I only ran one pass, but I recieved no errors on either piece. When I ran both modules single channel in either slots 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, I recieved immidiate errors, just like when running dual channel. After this I started a correspondance with somoene on their forums who seemed to be knowledgeable, and he had me try a few other things. I set the AGP ratio to Fixed, and set the AGP/PCI Frequency to 66/33. I then ran tests on the memory in slots 1 and 3 at voltages of 2.6, 2.65, and 2.7. Each time I recieved the same results as before. In other words, I can't run two modules at the same time, but either one individually works fine. I'm not sure if this will be useful or not, but here are the voltages in the BIOS for a few things (taken while running at 2.7V): 3.3 rail: 3.24 5 rail: 4.94 12 rail: 11.67 DDR Voltage: 2.67 Now that I've given all the background information, I'll get on with my actual questions. 1) Could something be wrong with the RAM? 2) Could this be incompatibility between the RAM and the motherboard, despite what the guide says? 3) If it is incompatibility, what do I do? Should I try a different type of RAM? What would you suggest? 4) Could something be wrong with the motherboard? I'd really appriciate any help I can get. I've tried everything I can, so it looks like something will have to be changed. I just don't want to send back the wrong thing... - Pat

• Corsair Employees
I would if at all possible try testing them on another system. But if you cannot do that I would have no problem replacing your modules. If so please follow the link in my signature!

Archived