Corsair Community

Computer Not Powering On

JJ91284

I'm a bit confused and hopefully you guys can help me out. I'm replacing my ultra x-connect 600w because it was in the process of dieing. I decided to go with Corsairs HX620W Modular power supply which should work great. Well I hooked it up, and I can't get my pc to power on. There is this blinking blue light that is in the top right corner above the rams slots by the capacitors that is flashing. I notice when I put my other power supply in and turn on my pc, the light is always on and not flashing and my pc boots up.

So does this mean my power supply is defective, I'm going to be really ticked off if it is, as my pc's case sucks and it is a pain in the *** to swap out the PSU. I have to remove my motherboard to get the darn thing out.

I hope this PSU isn't defective as I dont feel like waiting 1-2 weeks for a replacement. I should be getting my replacement PC2-8500 Dominator sticks back this next week sometime as the one stick just died. I've always liked corsairs product, but lately I seem to be having quite a bit of issues with there product. Hopefully we can fix this issue but I'm pretty sure its defective.

I was just looking at my 24 pin corsair connector, is there suppose to be 24 pins with contacts/wires inside of them, as mine only has 23 contacts. Also some of the pins look like there not pushed all the way in and possibly not making good contact.

My ultra power supply has 24 contacts inside the connector.

• Corsair Employees
The missing pin is normal, it is where the -5v wire used to be and it is not necessary in newer systems. I would suggest that you "jump" the green and any of the black wires on the 24-pin connector with a paper clip and see if the PSU fan begins to spin.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my RMA power supply and the 24 pin harness looks much better and all the pins line up.

The issue still at hand is that it doesn't power on either. I jumped the black and green wire and the psu starts up. Anyone have an idea why my 680i board flashes blue when I plug the psu in.

My 680i works great with my ultra x-connect 600w but I need to upgrade to a better and more reliable psu.

Specs are as followered

Cheap ultra case

evga 680i

E6600

PNY 7800GT

2 gb Corsair Dominator PC2-8500

2gb Crucail Ballistix PC2-8500

Creative xtreme gamer sound card

2 7200.10 seagate 320 gb hard drive Raid 0

I think I'll call tomorrow for some tech help

I just got my RMA power supply and the 24 pin harness looks much better and all the pins line up.

The issue still at hand is that it doesn't power on either. I jumped the black and green wire and the psu starts up. Anyone have an idea why my 680i board flashes blue when I plug the psu in.

My 680i works great with my ultra x-connect 600w but I need to upgrade to a better and more reliable psu.

Specs are as followered

Cheap ultra case

evga 680i

E6600

PNY 7800GT

2 gb Corsair Dominator PC2-8500

2gb Crucail Ballistix PC2-8500

Creative xtreme gamer sound card

2 7200.10 seagate 320 gb hard drive Raid 0

I think I'll call tomorrow for some tech help

that blue light is flashing on my motherboard when the corsair powersupply is plugged in. When my ultra power supply is plugged in, the light is always on.

The part that flashes looks to be called STBY (standby) which is next to a 5 v regulator and capacitors and is located in the top right side of the board.

• Corsair Employees
Our PSU has an "Over Current Protection" circuit which will not let the PSU go into regular power on mode if something is out of spec, most likely the +5Vsb. Your motherboard may be slightly out of spec and your Ultra PSU probably does not have an OCP circuit and is not detecting the issue. To find out if this is what is happening, I would suggest testing the PSU on a known working system and see if you have the same problems. If the board is slightly out of spec, you may want to get it replaced.

Well I just took the psu and put it in my brothers Dell Dimension 8400. I just plugged in the 24 pin connector and the 4 pin connector next to the cpu. I hit the power button and the psu turned on as well as the chassis fans.

So does that mean your right in that my EVGA 680i is out of spec and the 5vsb (is that 5v South Bridge) is most likely the culprit?

• 3 weeks later...
I thought I would let everyone know, that my Evga 680i turned out to be the problem. Corsair was right when they said my board stand by voltage was out of spec, and that there psu "Over Current Protection" was preventing my pc from turning on because of that. I got my RMA replacement and it powered right on with my corsair 620 psu. I guess this helps to confirm that ultra x-connect 600w aren't as great of a psu as it worked fine with my defective 680i board.

That's great! You were able to find an issue that would not have otherwise been found until possibly the warranty was over. Now you have a new and well working board. All is good :) The EVGA and other Nvidia reference boards are often out of spec with their voltages and many do not find out before the warranty is over. Or the board overvolts the GPU line, DRAM line, SATA line, etc and those components fail.

Archived