Corsair Community

Asus P5B 4x1GB question.

Anarion

I am planning to double the amount of ram in my system. I currently have 2x HyperX DDR2 750Mhz CL4 1024MB sticks in my system. Will I get problems if I add in two Corsair CM2X1024-5400C4 ram sticks? Should I get TWIN2X2048-5400C4 instead it there any sense at all to try this kind of mismatching?

That would be the safest course. Mixing and matching might work, it might not work but it's really not worth the effort to find out. You would do far better with 2 X 2048 than 4 X 1024 with any DRAM. You may find issues with 4 X 1024 even with all modules identical. There will be less possibilities of issues with 2 X 1024. You will also need a 64Bit Operating System in order to access all of the 4GB. Windows 32Bit OS's will not allow you to see and utilize the full 4GB. You will very likely lose ~1GB due to the system busses memory addressing.

My advice? If you want to go with 4GB then purchase a 64bit Operating System and 2 X 2048 Dram sticks. Sell the 2 X 1024 sticks you now have.

I have Vista Business 64bit so I have that's no problem. I am going to take a chance with 4 sticks. I already have done so (4x512MB) with my A64 4000+ ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 system and I am able to even OC ram to 450Mhz (CPU at 2700Mhz). If it fails to work, I probably have to keep 'em and wait till new Intel quad core cpu's are released...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived