Corsair Community

620w power trouble with 8800gtx?

MercenaryKnight

I built my own computer off newegg.com.

Evga 680i mobo, evga 8800gtx, intel quad core, 2gb patriot ram, 300gb western digital hd and a 620w corsair psu.

The thing is, when I am playing games, I randomly get freezes. They aren't always in one spot and some days I can play all day long with no problems, then it just can freeze in 5 mins or after 3 hrs.

Most people tell me that it's most likely a problem with the power supply not giving enough power to my 8800gtx. I just had to return a faulty power supply less than a month ago to get a new one.

So is my computer randomly crashing when I play 1 game (guild wars) a cause of the power supply not giving out enough power?

When my game freezes, the mouse freezes and I can't alt tab or alt+ctrl+del to end task it or anything and it just shows my frozen guild wars screen. Sometimes the screen will go black after a bit until I emergency restart and it boots back up.

• Corsair Employees
The 620w will have no problem powering your system, even if you were to add another 8800 GTX, I would say that it is unlikely a problem with the PSU. If it is only happening during one game, then I would recommend that you reinstall your video drivers, as well as the game, and make sure you have the latest updates for the game. If Guild Wars is the only application that is giving you issues, then it is most likely a software/driver/configuration conflict, and probably not a hardware issue.

I have re-installed video card drivers, ran a memtest, ran chkdisk and an ibm/hitachi hdd scanner. Nothing else had any problems.

I know that the psu is supposed to support up to 2 8800gtx's but i've pretty much ruled out all the other choices for problems. I even already replaced my video card with a new one because the other one caused artifacts.

I just find it weird that I have no overheating issues, or anything else that could just cause my computer random freezing.

Every other support forum I go to would say the only logical reason would be a bad psu, even though I already had a bad psu and rma'd it for this one.

Just makes me kind of doubt that I get 2 bad ones in a row.

• Corsair Employees
It seems unlikely that the PSU would cause only one application to crash. How long into the game does it usually take to crash? You might try running 3DMark06 a few times and see if the system crashes, 3DMark will most likely stress the video components much more than Guild Wars, and if the PSU if not delivering enough power, or intermittently powering the components then the system should crash. You could also try disconnecting all your extra components to lighten the load on the PSU (extra HDD, optical drives, sound card, one memory module, etc) and see if anything changes.

Archived