Corsair Community

Rig for FlightSimX

DaleFarrell

Want to build in January a stock-clocked rig for only the flight simx, and some video to dvd. Have Vista ultimate 32/64,a 19"lcd, and a big budget. Opinions are that a single 8800ultra is plenty of video power. CPU would be an Intel quad extreme for 1.333mhz fsb. Now is when I bog down. To build for the future I thought ddr3 ram would be best, but not after reading these forums for a few hours. Is 4GB of any ram overkill for my uses? I've been upgrading for years and not using the rigs, just handing them down to my wife, now I'd like to build a quality machine and USE it for awhile. I don't mind paying for quality, but I don't want to squeeze the last few fps by overclocking and watercooling. For my purposes would waiting for this 45nm technology be worthwhile, unless I really had my heart set on ddr3 with timings better than current ddr2? Dale.

Want to build in January a stock-clocked rig for only the flight simx, and some video to dvd. Have Vista ultimate 32/64,a 19"lcd, and a big budget. Opinions are that a single 8800ultra is plenty of video power. CPU would be an Intel quad extreme for 1.333mhz fsb. Now is when I bog down. To build for the future I thought ddr3 ram would be best, but not after reading these forums for a few hours. Is 4GB of any ram overkill for my uses? I've been upgrading for years and not using the rigs, just handing them down to my wife, now I'd like to build a quality machine and USE it for awhile. I don't mind paying for quality, but I don't want to squeeze the last few fps by overclocking and watercooling. For my purposes would waiting for this 45nm technology be worthwhile, unless I really had my heart set on ddr3 with timings better than current ddr2? Dale.

Since you are going to be using a stock cooling system, it would really be a waste of money to go for the Extreme processor. I would advise the Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz. I would advise you to purchase a decent aftermarket cooler and clock the FSB of the Q6700 from 1066 to 1333 which will give you 9 X 333 (333 X 4 = 1333) and you will be running with 3.0Ghz. The only difference between these chips is that Intel has governed the FSB and you can raise the FSB to the Extreme default of 333Mhz (333 X 4 = 1333Mhz) anyway.

This IS the enthusiast section after all :)

Now DDR3 is quite expensive and the timings are not better than DDR2, they are far worse. You might wish to research this before spending such an inordinate amount of money on very little improvement. In a year or two you will see the DRAM improvement to be quite marked with DDR3 overtaking DDR2 easily. At this time, it is not worth the expenditure in my opinion.

Considering you will be running FlightSimX, I would say that 4GB is overkill. You will do fine with 2GB of good high speed DRAM. If you purchased 8500C5, then you can run your CPU at 333 (333 X 4 = 1333Mhz) and your DRAM at 333 (333 X 2 = 667)Mhz at higher than 1:1 and not saturate your bus.

You will save a lot of money and will end up with a system just as fast as your above ideas. Good high end air cooling is really the method now as water cooling doesn't cool all that much better and is not worth the differential unless one does it for the enjoyment. Certainly a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme will keep that processor very cool and will not need any watchfulness.

Research:

DDR2 vs DDR3

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2989

Thermalright Ultra eXtreme:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-ultra120ex.html

I personally would go for one of the 8-Phase P5K mainboards such as the ASUS P5K-E as it will allow you to clock the processor nicely and save the overclock settings.

In the final analysis, it is up to you and my advice can be considered no more than a somewhat considered opinion :)

Archived