Corsair Community

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE and TWIN2X2048-6400C4

evilbrake

Hello Guys...

I mounted this computer 10-12 months ago, with 2gb of C4 memory... it works well, crashing sometimes in 3D games.

Last week I purchased more 2gb of 6400C4 Corsair memory. Installed it and my Windows Vista crashes everytime with a BSOD and a dump message. I tried reinstall Windows and got tons of errors in instalation.

I know Vista have some issues with 4gb ram, but I ran a test with MEMTEST 1.65, and a stick of memory show some errors at test 6.

Im using the latest BIOS (11.01) and the memory settings at 4-4-4-12-auto and voltage 2.1, at 800 speed.

Is these errors some kind of bad configuration or my memory is faulty?

My comp specs is:

Asus P5N32-SL SE Deluxe

Conroe E6600

PSU Spire Rocketeer E6600

2 Seagate SATA 320gb

XFX 8800 GTX

Thanks for any help guys... I need to work and my computer is useless by 4-5 days.

Seeya.

Evibrake

Please download memtest version 1.70 from http://www.memtest.org

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Retest. Results?

Some others have found that they can run with 4 X 1024MB 6400 at 800Mhz if they raise the FSB VTT and the NB (MCH) voltage incrementally.

I have personally found that it is far better to run the ram lower by one speed level when running all four banks filled. I would set the 6400 to 5300 and retest. Try both methods to see what your system will accept.

The issue is not faulty DRAM, the issue is that these motherboards are not optimized to accept four banks filled at full speed. Some can get away with it by tweaking the boards chipsets, but most can not.

Think of it this way. If you have a small phone book, then when you go into the index to find the page where you will find the phone number you are doing so at a certain speed due to the pages of the Index. Then you have to drive through the pages to get to the number. Now if your index is twice as large and the pages twice as many, then it takes longer to access the data. Now DRAM has a Strobe and the length of the strobe is how long the rows and columns can be left open before they must be refreshed. There is not enough time for the dram to be refreshed and then accessed with 4GB at the full access speed of the DRAM. The chipsets are optimized for 2GB, not 4GB. This is changing and of course there are some who can overclock the FSB HTT to gain some extra bandwidth and thus access the capabilities of the DRAM since the chipset is now clocked up.

Hello DerekT...

Many thanks for the help.

I lowered the memory frequency to 667 and by the first time Vista loaded without crashes.

I tried increase the voltage of FSB and NB, I dont know if I'm understanding it wrong but my MB Bios have fixes voltages:

FSB:

- 1.215V

- 1.315V

- 1.415V

NB:

- 1.40V

- 1.50V

- 1.60V

I tried to set FSB at 1.315 and NB at 1.40 and the computer crashes with a continuous beeps.

The only way i succeed I can load Vista at 800 memory frequency without crashing was setting System Clock Mode to LINKED. What it means? It adjusts my memory frequency depending on my FSB frequency?

I enabled the FSP and Memory Optimized Mode too...

Can this configuration decrease the performance?

If this specs are good, I ll test it with MemTest (I downloaded the 1.70 version).

Thanks one more time for the help and sorry for my bad english ;)

Evilbrake

Hello DerekT...

Please, forget all the nonsense I wrote in the post above. Vista loaded not because the Clock System Mode, Optimizes, Etc... It worked because I increased the memory voltage to 2.1v (with FSB and NB auto mode). I tested with MEMTEST and got some errors at test 6.

Now I raised the FSB voltage to 1.315v and NB to 1.400v and running Memtest again.

At the moment I am at work. When in home I will install CPU-z and post the info you asked here.

Thanks !!!

Evilbrake

Heya...

But ASUS says that with the latest BIOS we can run DDR800 with no problems. Are they talking about only 2 modules?

My two options are:

1) Run with 4 modules at 667...

or

2) Run with 2 modules at 800...

Is that right? Theres no other way I can run 4 modules at 800? That FSB/NB voltage stuff?

I think that MBs manufacturers should explains better their products limitations. When you buy a P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe it says that you can use up to 4gb of DDR 800... they don't say you can use DDR800 AT 667... :P

Thanks for the help...

Evilbrake

Heya...

But ASUS says that with the latest BIOS we can run DDR800 with no problems. Are they talking about only 2 modules?

Yes.

My two options are:

1) Run with 4 modules at 667...

or

2) Run with 2 modules at 800...

Is that right? Theres no other way I can run 4 modules at 800? That FSB/NB voltage stuff?

You can test and possibly make out but usually this will just be a test of yoru ability to handle frustration and an unstable system. Far better to drop to 667 as you will not be saturating your bandwidth with 667MHz and a Dual Core 2.

I think that MBs manufacturers should explains better their products limitations. When you buy a P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe it says that you can use up to 4gb of DDR 800... they don't say you can use DDR800 AT 667...

True, which is why it is massively important to research these things. Keep in mind that the problem is really not so much the motherboard as it is the chipset's (MCH) inability to keep up with the speed and twice the density/capacity, of the DRAM.

Think of it this way. If you have a small phone book, then when you go into the index to find the page where you will find the phone number you are doing so at a certain speed due to the pages of the Index. Then you have to drive through the pages to get to the number. Now if your index is twice as large and the pages twice as many, then it takes longer to access the data. Now DRAM has a Strobe and the length of the strobe is how long the rows and columns can be left open before they must be refreshed. There is not enough time for the dram to be refreshed and then accessed with 4GB at the full access speed of the DRAM. The chipsets are optimized for 2GB, not 4GB. This is changing and of course there are some who can overclock the FSB to gain some extra bandwidth and thus access the capabilities of the DRAM since the chipset is now clocked up. Usually when you clock up the FSB and concurrently the Memory Controller Hub (MCH) you need to raise the voltage of the MCH a bit.

So, if you raise the FSB of the CPU, the FSB voltage, Possibly the CPU voltage and the MCH voltage, you may be able to reach the 800Mhz as now the chipset is running faster and can keep up with the additional access duration of the 4 banks of populated DRAM.

If you were saturating your bus at 667, then this would be a good idea but as it is, with a Core 2, I personally think it is not necessary. Unless you want the extra speed of the overclock that is.

Archived