Corsair Community

Asus Striker Extreme & TWIN2X2048-6400C4 = New PSU?

Sacrum

Hi Ram Guy

Like many other users I have some stability issues with my Asus Striker Extreme and the Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4 Sticks) I installed. Whenever I play a game, the system crashes after a few minutes - either under Vista x64 and XP. So it seems to be a hardware issue. I don't think it's a thermal problem, 'cos cooling all components down by 10-15°C brings absolutly nothing. My suggestion:

- It's a voltage problem with the rams

- Or a problem with my PSU (530W)

I run the memories at 800MHz with 4-4-4-12 2T-timings.

Yesterday I found out, that the memories are specified to run at 2.1V. So I set memory voltage at this level and the NB voltage to 1.45V. This caused freeze after <5min gaming and the first time a continuous beep. So that's not a good setting. Setting the voltages on the ram back in small steps stabilized the system more and more. At 1.925V I could play MOHA for more than half an hour. I reduced the clock to 667MHz and the timings to Auto (5-5-5-15). That didn't increase the time of gameplay without a crash.

Two days ago I tested with only two sticks which seems to be also a good idea. Memtest runs for hours without a problem at 4-4-4-12, 800MHz and four sticks. The latest BIOS (1305) is installed.

What do you think, it's the problem with my system?

Archived