Corsair Community

4GB Flash Voyager will not partition or format

jdv

My 4GB Flash Voyager is acting up; I cannot partition it using the DOS FDISK

utility or Win2K Disk Manager. I get "Media is write-protected" error messages. The Truecrypt utility cannot create a secure volume on it. :eek:

My event log is showing large amounts of "Bad Block" errors for the drive. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

New problem: replacement drive arrived today.

I cannot plug thie replacement drive into any USB 2.0 port and copy files to or from the Voyager 4GB drive.

The drive behaves the same on NEC USB 2.0 or Intel USB 2.0 controllers and

it make no difference whether it is plugged into a powered USB 2.0 external hub or a root hub.

I can use it in on a USB 1.1 port.

Toshiba Satellite 1415-s173 laptop running Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

First I tried the Flash Voyager in the NEC USB 2.0 CardBus Adapter card where the problem first manifested itself. I then tried the Flash Voyager in the laptop's internal USB 1.1 port (Intel 82801CA/CAM usb host controller).

It worked ok in the internal USB 1.1 port.

• Corsair Employees
You will need all of the latest updates for Windows 2000 and you will need to be logged on as an Administrator the first time you connect it. In addition, the USB Port will have to be able to provide 500Mamps to the device at 5 Volts that controller as I remember will only provide 3.3 Volts.

I was logged in as Admin. Windows 2K has all the latest updates applied.

According to Device Manager's "USB Root Hub" properties for the port

I had the drive plugged into the Flash Voyager only drew 100ma.

At any rate lack of power would not explain why the drive would not work

in the externally powered USB 2.0 hub (500ma per port@ 5V) on one of my desktops.

• Corsair Employees
Yes that is spec for USB 2.0 and initially when connected they will draw 100 Mamps, but the port needs to provide up to 500 MAmps Per port. If you connected the drive to under powered port it may have damaged the drive. I would suggest checking the Spec of the USB Card and make sure it can provide enough power and the proper Voltage, if not you may have to use an externally powered USB HUB. Please call me at 800-205-7657 as I would like to examine that drive. Just ask for me and I will be happy to help you.

Archived