Corsair Community

Another ASUS P5N-E SLI thread.

Vollstrecker

Hiya, I'm kinda new to the computers of today (been many years since I built one) and I'm a little over my head to be honest. I put together a new gaming rig the other day and have had nothing but problems with the computer locking up sometime after I attempt to do something that takes a bit of resources. As most problems I've seen researching my motherboard point to some odd RAM issues, I figured I'd try you guys out. My computer specs are as follows:

Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard (running 0608 BIOS revision)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX Memory at Auto settings in BIOS

EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB Video Card

Western Digital SATA 500GB HDD

Ultra XVS 600w PSU

Sound Blaster Audigy SE Sound Card

Antec P182 ATX Case

From what I've understood is that these motherboards are very picky about their RAM settings and that the Auto settings are fairly worthless in that regard. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on how to configure the RAM to see if I get some system stability.

Thanks in advance!

Download Memtest from http://www.memtest.org

Enter your BIOS and set your Vdimm (memory voltage) to 2.1v. Boot to the Memtest CD and allow the program to run for 2 or more full passes. If it passes, then test to repeat your system issues. If they remeain, then I would look to flashing your BIOS.

The newest BIOS from ASUS (0703) supports new CPUs (Specifically G0 Revisions of which is your CPU) and enhanced memory support. I would flash the BIOS to the newest version. I would flash with the DOS tool and not the Windows Flash tool since you are having system issues.

Bios:

Newest Asus Dos Flash Tool:

• Corsair Employees

Derek & Vollstrecker

TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX modules are rated at 1.8 Volts but I would suggest setting the memory Voltage to 1.9 Volts and up to 2.1 Volts max if you are having a problem.

Vollstrecker

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 1.9 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Derek & Vollstrecker

TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX modules are rated at 1.8 Volts but I would suggest setting the memory Voltage to 1.9 Volts and up to 2.1 Volts max if you are having a problem.

Are these sticks warranted to 2.1v? Is it your advice with these modules to make the 2.1v a last ditch effort to achieve stability, and that 2.1v is not a good idea across the board? Or that one should stagger the voltage raises ie. 1.9 --> 2.0 --> 2.1v?

This board has a known issue with Core 2 (Duo and Quad) specifically G0 Revisions and the newest BIOS revision (0703) will deal with not only this issue but also enhancing memory issues.

Posting from work, however I did run a full ~1hr 15m pass on the memory with the Memtest86 v3.3 and it ran successfully with 0 errors. I'll see about flashing the BIOS up to 0703 when I get home, and I gather I need to reset CMOS after doing so, but I'm not too clear on that process, if someone could run me through it quickly.

I did set up my memory timings manually to 5 5 5 18 2T as recommended on the packaging that came with my RAM, but that didn't provide any relief. I'll let you guys know what's going on after I try these suggestions, thanks!

Well, I went ahead and updated the BIOS, did the defaults thing as DerekT suggested, then proceeded to manually set my Memory Voltage and timings (voltage at 1.9-something) and it was stable for a half hour with me running around in World of Warcrack.

I got it running the Nvidia stress test while I'm at work just to be sure, as it's previously been stable for about an hour at times, but I figured I'd give you guys an update.

Good stuff. Let us know after you have worked with the system for some time with no issues. Longevity in stability is what you are after.

Well, it's been stable ever since I did that, so I believe we can color it fixed.

Thanks a ton for your help guys, a lot better after struggling with it for a few days!

Archived