Corsair Community

2x TWIN2X2048-8500C5D on EVGA nForce 680i SLI 775

kram_eilsel

Hello!

I have 2 sets of your TWIN2X2048-8500C5D on EVGA nForce 680i SLI 775 A1, running Vista Ultimate (32bit). Yea, I know.. 64bit would be better.. but I am waiting until more software/device driver folks step up to the plate they should have been at years ago... :-/

Anyway, I am setup with the latest BIOS (version P30 - 7/16/2007) and get errors when running vista's "Memory Diagnostics Tool"

I have set this machine up with defaults as well as the "recommended" settings I have seen in the forum for the modules on other machines.

Do you have any suggestions for the EVGA motherboard (or the chipset) specifically? The memory IS working and I AM running, just a bit concerned about the "errors".

My Current Setup in BIOS:

(Note: the > indicates that there is a value that is selectable and [ ] is the value that is set to currently):

FSB & Memory Config:
 SLI-Ready Memory        = Not Detected
 CPU Freq, MHz           = 2666.7
 CPU Multiplier          = 10X
> FSB - Memory Clock Mode = [AUTO]
 FSB - Memory Ratio      = AUTO
 FSB (QDR), MHz          = AUTO
   Actual FSB (QDR), MHz = 1066.7
 FSB (DDR), MHz          = AUTO
   Actual MEM (DDR), MHz = 800.0

Memory Timing Setting:
> Memory Timing Setting   = [Optimal]
 tCL (CAS Latency)       = Auto (5)
 tRCD                    = Auto (5)
 tRP                     = Auto (5)
 tRAS                    = Auto (18)
 Command Per Clock (CMD) = Auto (2T)

** Advanced Memory Settings **
 tRRD                    = Auto (3)
 tRC                     = Auto (22)
 tWR                     = Auto (5)
 tWTR                    = Auto (9)
 tREF                    = Auto (7.8uS)

System Voltages:
> CPU Core                = [Auto] 1.28V
> CPU FSB                 = [Auto] 1.2V
> Memory                  = [Auto] 1.850V
> nForce SPP              = [Auto] 1.20V
> nForce MCP              = [Auto] 1.500V
> HT nForce SPP <-> MCP   = [Auto] 1.20V

When I boot into the "Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool" I get the following:

"Hardware problems were detected. To identify and repair these problems, you will need to contact the computer manufacturer."

I put the system together - but I am asking if you have any known "better" settings than the defaults? Not sure what the actual ERROR is.. they are not saying in the UI.

The machine is running at standard/defaults. Nothing is (or has been) overclocked - all just using defaults.

Thanks in advance! If you need me to provide anything else, please let me know, be glad to get it.

-Mark

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set SLI Ready Memory to CPU 0% and set the CPC/CR to 2T, then test with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them one up and or in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

And with 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR800 after all of them pass one up at their tested settings.

Thanks - I did run with the same results at DIMM memory @ 2.2V, the 1.85V is what the BIOS (the latest/current version) was defaulting to. I wanted to start from a default and ensure things were set correctly.

When running "memtest86+ v1.70" I was getting an error immediately (test 1) at a consistent memory address (0005e4f9cb4 - 1508.5MB).

The other issue was I noticed was the SLI-Memory was showing up as "Not Detected". When I powered down, purged Motherboard power, and removed the modules I noticed something: Two of the modules are labeled "XMS8505v1.2 07030842-27" at the end of the bottom line of the label, the other two are "2.20V ver1.3 07372890"!

When I removed and run just one matched pair in the correct slots for 2x DIMMs, the "SLI ENABLED" comes on in BIOS and allows setup for CPU 0% now! YAY!... bad news though is ONE pair definitely has a problem and will need to be sent in for RMA. I was able to narrow it down, thanks for the help! I have the 2x1024v1.3 in now and was able to get one of these finally as well!

NoMemError.jpg.36156c72142039715874e1bb701052bc.jpg

And with 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR800 after all of them pass one up at their tested settings.

In reference to this... you are saying ONCE I get things all testing and working 100%, I should set the "FSB (DDR), MHz = 800.0" when using 4x1024 modules?

Thanks again!

-Mark

Archived