Corsair Community

Replacement RAM bad also!!!

wildwillie

Bought a set of TWIN2X-2048-6400C4D RAM to use on my ASUS Crosshair Motherboard. I started having problem right after installing. Unfortunately, I wound up corrupting two hard drives prior to performing Memtest86+ ver 1.70 (failed on step 5) and finding out that one of the chips was bad.

I then got in touch with CORSAIR and arranged to have a replacement set send out and then I was to send my faulty set back. The replacement set had one chip bad that would not even pass the POST. So I have two sets of this RAM, with one bad and one good chip each. I am now running with the good sticks from both sets and they have passed all tests.

I looked at he Qualified Vender List for my motherboard and Corsair RAM did not appear to be too compatible with this motherboard. There are columns for use in first channel, use in second channel, and a third column for use in both channels. This RAM is only in the use in first channel column. Should I return all of the RAM and go with a different manufacturer??? Or should I get a third set of RAM and try it. The drawback of what I am doing now is that the installed RAM is not a "matched set".

I have set the RAM to run at 4-4-4-12 and 2.1V. Also I have disabled legacy USB support.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set SLI Ready Memory to CPU 0% and set the CPC/CR to 2T, then test with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them one up and or in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I have the latest BIOS revision ver 0802 for ASUS Crosshair. The Dimm Voltage is set to 2.1V. SLI Ready Memory is set to 0%. CPC/CR is set to AUTO. I did run Memtest 86+ ver 1.70. Legacy USB support is disabled.

Running Memtest, one stick from the first set failed. And the computer would not pass a POST with one of the sticks from the second set in. However, the remaining stick from each set runs just fine. Even together as a set. My question is about what to do with what I have. Do I return the replacement set and wait for a replacement "matched set" that will both pass memtest??? Or do I keep the one running stick from each set and return the two bad sticks, thus leaving me with an "unmatched set"???

Archived