Corsair Community

HX620 Buzzing/Hissing

Raxxath

I recently bought a HX620 from ZipZoomFly.com. While I love the color, the flexibility of the modular cables, and the silence of the fan, it makes an annoying hissing noise when idle. During 3d games, the unit also buzzes even louder than the hiss.

I've assembled my computer on a table, outside of a case, so I'm 100% positive the power supply is making these noises.

Also, I received a unit with only two PCI-E connectors, the kind with a two pin attachment to make it an 8-pin connector. If I were to RMA the power supply, would I receive the newer version that comes with four PCI-E connectors(hopefully some of which are just 6 pin connectors) that I've heard about?

And finally, I have a mail-in rebate for the power supply that I would like to use, but I only have 3 days left to mail it out. Would it be possible for the replacement power supply to be cross-shipped and arrive in time for me to cut out the UPC code and send it in?

Thanks for any help, the quality of support I've seen on these forums makes me glad I bought a Corsair, even if the unit itself isn't working properly.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm not on a UPS or anything like that.

• Corsair Employees

Are you sure that is not coming from you speakers? And I have no problem replacing the unit if you like. By the way are you using a battery Back up and APC? If so I would try the system with out it to test?

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

• Corsair Employees

Let's get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace or it! Please make sure you let them know you are from the forum!

The UPC code is not necessary to have the product replaced, so go ahead and send in your rebate. Your reseller, however, may require the UPC for returns/exchanges.

Your replacement should have the newer version of the PCI-E cables, however if you need to request them, please email ramguy@corsairmemory.com with your contact information along with a link to this thread and we will get them sent out to you. Please put "ATT:Ramguy" in the subject line.

Thank you very much, that answers all of my questions. Very happy to hear that I can do the rebate, too.

And yes, I've tried it on wall outlets, a surge protector, and a UPS, and they all buzz. I have the power supply away from the other components, there's no question that its the one buzzing. Hopefully the replacement will fix this ;):

• 1 month later...

I just hooked up my replacement HX620, and the hiss while idle is much louder than the previous unit. I'm now wishing I hadn't returned the first one. To be clear, this happens regardless if its plugged into the wall or UPS.

Is there anything I can do without having to keep paying shipping costs? I can see this power supply becoming very expensive if I keep having to pay to return it.

• Corsair Employees
If you are having the ssame issues, that would suggest another problem and I would recommend testing the PSU in a different system to see if you get the same results. If you would like to get the PSU replaced again please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com.

Archived