Corsair Community

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe dual-channel problems with VS2GBKIT400C3

Kire

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2 GB Corsair Value Select kit to upgrade the memory on my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. I was getting BSOD after installing it so I ran memtest86+ to see if there were any memory errors. What I found was that if I ran the two sticks in dual channel mode (either slots 1 & 3 or slots 2 & 3) on the mother board I would always get errors during test 5 of the memtest86+. I switched the sticks back and forth to make sure it wasn't a particular module that was the problem. I then placed the RAM in memory slots 1 & 2 on the motherboard which is single-channel and ran memtest overnight with no problems. I was wondering if this could still be a problem withe the Corsair memory which would cause it not to work in dual-channel mode or some other factor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kire

• Corsair Employees
What is the revision of your MB, has to be a 2.X revision with the latest BIOS to run a 200 FSB CPU. And I would try and load setup defaults with the latest BIOS installed and then set the memory Voltage to 2.7 Volts and the modules should be in slots 2-3 then test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

My motherboard is a 2.0 revision and I downloaded the latest bios update for it from ASUS (1008). I loaded the default settings for the bios, changed the voltage to 2.7, put the memory in slots 2 &3 and ran it overnight. Unfortunately it is still having errors during test #5 of memtest.

Dual channel mode is a function of the chipset, not the memory. As long as the memory fits the Dual Channel Requirements of same density, timing and spd, then the memory is compatible with the Dual Channel mode. At the time of Dual channel introduction by Intel, AMD was trying to keep up with the Jones' as it were and often Dual Channel initiation was not very workable. Considering that Dual Channel mode was not very useful with those CPU's (a 2 - 5% increase at best) it is pretty much a moot point at any rate. Running 2GB in single channel mode on that board/cpu combination will provide a decent solution for an aging chipset and CPU. You should have a few good years left in that setup at any rate.

• 1 month later...

Hi and sorry for reactivating this old thread.

I have a problem with the same combination (mainboard/ram) and maybe someone can help me out.

I tried to enhance memory by exchanging 2x Corsair XMS 512MB with 2x Corsair ValueSelect 1GB bars. Now the computer is rebooting or games go back to desktop with errors regarding the memory (cannot read memory at...., bluescreens)

I already updated the Bios, incremented memory voltage to 2.7V, exchanged the psu, tried different bank combinations (dual-channel: 1-3,2-3 single-channel:1-2) but without success.

Memtest86 is reporting errors whenever i am using both bars at the same time but If i use one bar only everything is fine (again tested every possible bank/bar combination). What can i do to fix this? I hope someone has some suggestions because i don't have any more ideas.

Thank you

Kitagua

i just tried it. Afterwards i got a message about wrong cpu settings. CPU was identified as 1050+ instead of a 3000+. So i changed settings in bios back to 200MHz and 10.5 multiplicator. Now the system does not boot (black screen). After rebooting i get the message again that there are wrong cpu settings. I do not know which fsb my cpu really needs but it was set to 200 Mhz before and the Jumper Position was (if i can trust the manual) to (1-2) which should enable fsb 333/266 support. However switching the jumper back from (2-3) to (1-2) helps and the system is booting again (FSB200Mhz,10.5multipl. , memory set to 200 MHz and single channel operation) In between i read through the forums and found the information that corsair does not suggest to use valueselect memory for this board but XMS. Should have read that earlier :sigh!: However XMS DDR memory is quite more expensive so this is not an alternative for this system.

Kitagua

Archived