Corsair Community

8-pin cpu connection, one loose pin

entangL

So my computer has been powering off, a couple of times, whenever I've moved it a little or had any vibration go into the chassi. Well it has been rebooting back up without any problem, until now. I opened the chassi and found one of the pins (non-ground wire) in the CPU power connection loose, the metallic part was visible. I inserted the pin back in into the plastic casing of the connection. I booted up again but I still got the CPU voltage error :[pouts:. Everything else receives power, until the boot sequence decides to give up.

Could it be that only one power rail is damaged somehow? So if I got a adapter, for a 4-pin molex, it would all work out? Or should I be afraid about the CPU and the motherboard :confused:

Specs:

HX620W

Abit IN9 32x-MAX

E6400

• Corsair Employees
Let's get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it! Please make sure you let them know you are from the forum!

• 4 weeks later...

I created this thread some time ago:

http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63200

Now after some more testing with a multimeter I've come to the conclusion that the loose pin on the ESP12V connection damaged the motherboard and/or the CPU. The PSU itself gives excellent readings on the multimeter. My best guess would be that the Motherboard overheated/fried, because of the high resistance that was cased by the loose pin. There's no visible signs thought.

It's sad that a high quality PSU, as the HX62W, comes with such poor quality cabling.

Well the question is if Corsair is prepared to do something about this, or should i just take it up with the motherboard's manufacturer?

And I should probably also mention that i live in Finland, so if anything can be handled a bit more locally...

• Corsair Employees
I would recommend first attempting the RMA with your reseller, as they may be able to provide a local exchange. If your motherboard is damaged, I would recommend contacting your motherboard manufacturer for replacement.

Archived