Corsair Community

p5w dh, twin2x4096-6400C5 G, memtest freezes

kelvin_paull

Hi I hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction

I have a P5W DH motherboard. I purchased the XMS2 TWIN2x4096-6400C5 G memory recently. The memory voltage in the BIOS is set for 2.0 volts.

I previously had XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 in my system. I installed the extra 4GB in my computer for a total of 6GB. The computer was randomly resetting with that combination. I ran memtest+ v1.60 and it showed 7 errors then the test stopped.

So I just put the 4GB in the same slots where the 2GB dimms were for a total of 4gb memory. Memtest froze at step #5. I took out 1 2GB DIMM, and ran the test again: memtest didn't freeze at step #5. I tried the other 2gb DIMM in the same slot and memtest didn't freeze at step #5.

Memtest+ 1.60 freezes at step #5 when both 2GB DIMMs are installed, but when the are individually tested there isn't any errors.

What can I do to get this resolved?

Hi Ram Guy

For those previous tests I didn't disable legacy support. So I downloaded memtest+ 1.70 and disabled legacy support in the BIOS.

I ran memtest again with only the 2x2GB installed. memtest froze and the screen got corrupted at test 5. I tested each 2gb dimm individually, and they passed without errors.

Then I tested the computer with the 2x1GB and the 2x2GB for a total of 6GB. Test 4 gave me 756 errors, test 5 gave over 750,000 errors before I shut down the computer. After that I went into the BIOS and enabled memory remap so the system could see all 6GB of the memory. There was 8192 errors in test 4.

So to conclude: the 2x2GB memory only gets errors when both Dimms are installed, no errors when either 2GB dimm is installed.

Is there anything else I can try?

• Corsair Employees
You should not Mix memory and with this MB when you install more than two modules you would need to set the memory frequency at DDR667 and I would set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts as well. In addition, when ever you make changes you should load setup defaults every time you change memory.

Hi Ramguy

Alright I took out the 2x1GB corsair memory. I only have the 2x2GB of memory in the computer. I reset the BIOS to defaults, disabled legacy USB, and put the memory to 2.0 Volts. Note, when I reset the BIOS to defaults the memory always defaults to 667

Then I ran memtest+ 1.70 with the memory running at 667. It worked perfectly and didn't freeze. Then I went to the bios and put the memory speed to 800 (because that is what the memory is rated at). Memtest froze at step 5. The computer also restarts intermittently when running memory intensive programs, at least once every 10 minutes now.

what settings do I use so I can run memtest and the computer without it freezing or restarting?

• Corsair Employees

If you are just testing the TWIN2X4096-6400C5 modules, then do the following:

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard

Load setup Defaults in the BIOS

Disable Legacy USB support

Test each module individually

If you get failures, try testing in a different slot

If you have one module that is consistently failing in multiple slots, while the other one is passing, then we will want to replace the pair for you.

Archived