Corsair Community

Asus P5K and Twin2X2048-8500C5D

Troten

Ok then. And what would be the highest ram I can put on them?

P.S. You have 880 as your graphics card. I understand that's 8800 ;)

LOL - Thanks :) I am not able to edit my system specs at the moment. Some glitch in the system.

TWIN2X2048-10000C5DF = DDR2 1250MHz is at this time the fastest DDR2 around the block. It is blistering. Look to 6200MB/s in non cached mode.

There is also PC2-8888 and it is rated at 4-4-4 timings at DDR2-1111 but the 10000C5DF is the kicker :)

I just finished a build with a P5K-E and an E6420. It made 3.5Ghz easy and the board is as cool as a cucumber. There's not much need to go with the Deluxe/Premium when the E is around. 8-Phase power and a Vdroop dampener that works.

Yes, you will be able to use that ram and with a good CPU will be able to make some very high bandwidth.

Agreed. I'm probly going with the E6700 or the E6750. The latter most likely, unless I win the 6700. I'm also going for the 8500 modules with the fan accessory. I think I'll be able to o/c it to a decent amount along with liquid cooling,don't you think?

I would personally go with the E6750 as it is one of the new G0 Revisions and is seen to run cooler with an improved L1 Cache Coherency. I would eschew the E6700 unless it is as you say, won :). I have worked with 7 E6750's and all of them made 3.6Ghz easy. 3.8Ghz was attainable on 4 and 4.0 on 1. This was all done with Tuniq Tower/Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme/ASUS Silent Knight. The 4.0 was done with the Silent Knight. Quite an amazing cooler and orientation is up to you :).

I would not personally go with water cooling as the best air coolers are simply amazing, and are far less problematic and work extremely well. I just helped a fellow here with a P5K-E and Q6600 make an easy 3.6Ghz with 53C Load temps after 12 hours on Orthos. So water coolers are becoming less an extreme method and only those who move to LN, etc. are going to make the extreme numbers anymore. When you can make 4.0 Dual Core stable on high end air and 3.6Ghz Quad Core stable on high end air, is there really any reason to go water? It's up to you though.

Actually, I was thinking of getting the Thermaltake Kandalf LCS which comes with built in cooling. But,I'm not too sure myself. I just wanted the bundle so that I could w/c my gfx card as well. I don't think that watercooling would provide worse or noisier(very important for me) results than even top notch air cooling...But I'd still like to hear your opinion...

Most air cooling has the added benefit of allowing air circulation to help cool the mainboard. I agree that if you are looking to cool an 8800 series GPU or one of the ATi burners a w/c solution is something to take into consideration. I find 600/2000 with 57C idle and 78C load with my 8800GTX so I understand you. I have great air circulation in my case and the CPU idles at 39C with a load of 53C. A few years ago I used water cooling solutions as there were no really high end air cooling, but now, it's just not all that useful a solution imo. W/C was necessary to keep silent and stable. With high end air, I have silent and stable wo why would I move to the more work and watchfulness of decent w/c. All you need is one leak to find out what I mean, but it is, of course, up to you.

The water cooling kits can sometimes be worse or no better than good air cooling. I won't mention some of the ones that are noisy and poor cooling AND that need continuous upkeep. They are there and kits are not a good way to go imo. If you are going to go with a w/c solution, then my advice is to get a case that has a good aeration and fans with decent airflow for the motherboard. Now if you take into account the fans that the radiator will take and the extra fans that the motherboard will need for airflow, I think you will find that the w/c solution is no quieter or certainly not much quieter.

I want speed and as low an upkeep system as possible. If the 8800GTX was causing issues, then I would do something about it but I can see no issues in a well ventilated case.

In the end, it is up to you as you are the one who needs to be satisfied with your solution.

All those things taken into consideration, I am thinking of going with my second choice, the Coolermaster Stacker CM. I consider it a superb case and I don't think I'm alone in that regard. And maybe adding a few more euros here and there for after-market cooling will get me to the same price as the Kandalf or less. Would you recommend this case? And what do you suggest as a good air-cooling solution?

The CoolerMaster Stacker CM is an excellent choice. It's a case of the company listening to what the modders and users wanted and then came up with the revised edition. Lovely look aside, this is a case where you will never have to worry about ambient temperatures in your case. You can install 120mm fans with three (Low-Med-Hi) switches and run them on low. Considering you can place 9 120's in this case or 4 140's and 5 120's, well, enough said :p

I believe that that choice for CPU coolers is between the Tuniq Tower and the Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme. I like the Tuniq better myself as it has a better temperature drop delta than the Ultra120 although the Ultra120 is a few degrees cooler than the Tuniq. The Tuniq is easier to install than the Ultra120 but they are both very good coolers.

I will look into the cooler thing. I was looking at some reviews for the Stacker and I think I've fallen in love :p:. This has actually been a very insightful conversation. Thanks a lot. Do you happen to have msn so I could ask for your advice outside the forum?

Archived