Corsair Community

Compatible motherboard for TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX

7-id

Hi, I want to start off by saying that I am fairly new to building computers (but I am learning!). I recently purchased a set of TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX and am currently looking to upgrade my motherboard. I have an AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+, and a 500watt Antec Smart Power-Power supply. I am also going to purchase a WD 500-Gig SATA Hard Drive. I am running my current set up as a dual-boot system (XP and VISTA) and would like to do the same with a new motherboard. My question is, I want to keep all of my current components (except for the motherboard and hard drive), but I checked the Corsair website for listings of compatible motherboards and when I check the Manufacturer's website (mostly ASUS) It is not listed in the QVL for the motherboards although it is listed on Corsair's Compatibility chart. It also seems that alot of people have problems with the ASUS boards and getting and maintaining stability with Corsair ram. Just wondering if there is a good reliable motherboard (brand doesn't matter) that has been tested and will work with my set-up without alot of headaches. I would like a motherboard with SLI as an option with both PCI-E slots running at a full 16x. I appreciated any input and thank you ahead of time.

• Corsair Employees
You have to remember that ASUS being one of the largest MB makers will have more volume and more user having problems. However, I think if you really dig into most of the problems reported I think you will see the biggest majority of them are resolved with the proper settings or a BIOS update. What ever MB you get I would suggest first thing getting the latest BIOS and updating it before you load the O.S. then follow the link in my signature and set the tested settings manually. And chances are about 99.8% that you will have no problems.

Thanks Ram Guy! I have another question, if a particular motherboard is listed on the Corsair website as being compatible with the ram that I have; does that mean that the particular motherboard should have the option of setting the voltage to what is recommended for my ram? Is there a way to check that out before I buy a new motherboard? Also, how do you flash the bios? You'll have to forgive me, I'm still a noob.

I almost forgot to ask, I've heard that sometimes certain motherboards can run into problems after updating the bios. Is there a way to switch back to the original bios if the update causes problems? Thanks again.

• Corsair Employees

Well yes they should, but I will warn you; we do not test every model, and the memory configurator is done by chipset not a specific MB so sometimes a model might be listed that will not support them. There are some of the more obscure models that will not have some of the advanced options. If you are getting one of the models with on Board Video or a Micro ATX version you need to check the user manual for the MB before you buy it.

We do our best to catch it but some times one will slip by.

And yes you should be able to revert back to the old BIOS just remember to save it before you update it. And you might save it to a floppy just in case.

Archived