Corsair Community

Voltage inconsistency, HX-530

FoxDown

Just bought a HX-530, and it's working like a charm.

But when I use CPU-Z, I note that vCore goes from 1.408 to 1.424 almost every half second. Is this inconsistency normal, or does it mean I have some problem with my PSU or the apartments power wiring?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I have checked my wall sockets with a multimeter, and it varies just as frequently, but with about 1 volt instead of 0.02 as with the PSU.

Vcore is the CPU voltage. It would not be uncommon to see it fluctuate a little as the CPU power demands can change due to CPU load. The fluctuation you are seeing is minute. Your power supply is working the way is was designed to. The power fluctuation of 1 volt from your wall socket will not have an effect on power delivery to your computer components from your power supply.

Vcore is the CPU voltage. It would not be uncommon to see it fluctuate a little as the CPU power demands can change due to CPU load. The fluctuation you are seeing is minute. Your power supply is working the way is was designed to.

I see. I am a little confused though because the fluctuation is always the same (+-0.016 v), and it changes so rapidly even when the CPU is idle. I don't get the impression that it's adapting to the CPU needs.

As long as the system is stable I would not worry about that. its not uncommon as JonKrmr stated.

Ok, I understand. I also noted that the voltage does not deviate from the above mentioned specs even under full load running the Prime95 stress test. So I guess that means the PSU is alrighty.

Thanks for your answers.

It's perfectly normal and doesn't really have anything to do with your PSU. It's commonly known as vdroop or droop or whatever you wan't to call it, and it's related to your motherboard and CPU.

For example vCore of 1.4V in BIOS could be 1.36V in Windows at idle and even less in load. Basicly the voltage goes down twice, once in idle and once in load. Some motherboards are known to have really bad droop, in others you barely have any.

Archived