Hi,

I recently purchased a high end gaming system with the specs as follows:

Conroe E6600 oc'ed to 3.00GHz

Asus P5N32-E SLI

XFX 8800 Ultra 768MB

Coolermaster Stacker 832

4GB DDR2 667 (3-3-3-1T)

Corsair HX620W

Everything works nicely, except like many people, the power supply makes strange noises. I know my graphics card squeals in some benchmarks due to the 8800 Ultra being pushed so hard, but I have also confirmed that the power supply makes strange noises depending on what the computer is doing. Even on idle, I can even hear a high frequency sound which is the most annoying thing ever! Don't get me wrong, the voltages are very good (have tested them with a multimeter), but it drives you insane with the myriad of noises it produces - especially since I am in a quiet room.

Anyway, I needed my computer so instead of RMA'ing my first unit I decided to buy another Corsair HX620W (and sell the old one) and the new one does exactly the same thing (they were purchased about a month apart)! I do not know how Corsair can back their products saying they are silent... Sure the fan controller is really good, but that does nothing if the power supply is making all sorts of buzzing and whining sounds on idle and on load. I would prefer a louder fan if the buzzing would just disappear.

My only advice is for anyone with a high powered system such as mine - look elsewhere for your power supply. I have not had experience with other power supply vendors, but if you want silence steer clear from this one.

If anyone has had the same experience as me and found a good solution, please pm me with the details.

No I am not using an APC or UPS battery backup... I have always had it plugged straight into the wall... I own a slightly older PC - AMD 64 3000+, 1GB RAM, ATI X800XT with an Antec Truepower 480W and I have never heard any form of squealing or buzzing.

Another interesting observation is that when I shut the computer down, just as the power supply turns off it makes a squeal. It used to sound like a jet engine powering down, but just recently I added another fan to my system and now it is at least twice as loud. That noise only comes up on shutdown and I can live with that since I am not turning my machine off regularly, however that is another observation that I can point out that might help Corsair's engineers pin point just what is going on.

• Corsair Employees
Are you able to test the 620HX in your alternate system to see if you still have the same issues? The squeal that you hear at shutdown may be caused by the motherboard shutting down the power to the video card a few milliseconds before the system is fully shut down, this is normally due to the particular BIOS shutdown sequence.

Archived